Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Bighorn

Default Epilogue

Well today marks one week since our return to Parker. I have to admit that this was quite some journey we had. In addition to meeting the guys in Texas, I got the opportunity to meet Cheri’s Godmother and her husband in Oklahoma City. The minute you drive up, all you see are racks and skulls. Inside they have no less than 50 beards, countless European mounts from mule deer, whitetail, cow… the list goes on an on. We spoke for quite a long time, though admittedly, not long enough to suit me because first thing that next morning, we had to leave.

Cale has made the transition well and is currently working on his own trophy from the hunt. We mounted his license, the arrow and a couple of pictures onto a plank of plywood, which he sanded down and beveled the edges on. He’s proud as all get out, and deservedly so.

Cheri has taken the advice she was given to heart, and changed her arrow/broadhead selection. I am happy (well sorta) to announce she is burying the new shafts down to the vanes at 16 yards on our poor 3D Deer target. Looks like I’m gonna need to buy a few more vital inserts.

As for me, well I’ll put it this way:

After the Apollo 12 mission, while still in a decontamination unit, Pete Conrad asked Alan Bean if he was back from the Moon yet. Alan answered half-heartedly,”Yep… I’m back. Back from the moon.” Now I’m not comparing our trip to the Apollo Missions. That would be absurd, though that drive across Texas sure seemed like a journey there. But I do understand Alan Bean’s sentiment.

Our trip, though probably seen by some as minor and insignificant, for us was full of discovery, adventure, and excitement. It was something I personally have wanted to do for a long time, but as life became increasingly complicated, that just seemed to slip by the wayside, like so many other things, I’m sorry to report. If it were not for the people here, it may never have been resurrected. To a certain extent, I enjoyed my time down there so much, I'm still there sitting in a stand, waiting for the feeders to go off.

I spent the time and effort, and took up so much room on this hunting diary, in part to have a lasting archive for my family to reference and remember, but also I felt I owed it to those who became personally involved in our situation, offered advice, and generally supported us throughout the whole journey, to take them along with us as best I could. I am sure, I have left out details along the way, and it’s due to nothing more than the volume of information to share.

For those that have read the entire entry, thank you for indulging me, and I hope it was as good as being there.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 07-23-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
For those that have read the entire entry, thank you for indulging me, and I hope it was as good as being there.

I felt as though I was with you the whole time. Thank you.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Musk Ox

Rick,
A HUGE attaboy to you for sharing what was you alls times(good and bad) with us here. I know I've enjoyed reading about ya'll's adventures as I'm sure have others. Cheri got some advice that may just be what gets her a huge deer this year. Cale's probably hooked on the outdoors for life. Just ask him if he wants to go hunting...don't be standing in his way when ya do! Ya might get run over! You spent some of the best times I think a man, who's father and husband, can spend with his family. The trip may not have been successful where the amount of meat is concerned but what ya'll did together will remain with ya forever and in priceless!

God bless and good hunting to all of ya...

VA Hunter

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Caribou

Quote:
actually, better. we didn't miss!!!

not much I can add to what Va said. but just remember. You just added something to your boys life that can never be taken away. never forget the look on my boys(stepson)face when I took him bowhunting the first time. you can never take that away from a father. congrats to all of you.

OK, enough of this mushy stuff. well, except you. you cost your wife 2 hogs. shame on you. shame on you I say!!! but she probably learned some very valuable lessons. first being NOT to listen to you!!! keep 'em hunting every chance you get. things will get even crazier when you all shoot something. been there, done that. wild ride from here out.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
keep 'em hunting every chance you get. things will get even crazier when you all shoot something. been there, done that. wild ride from here out.
Yeah... he's already getting his list together. He wants a yote and rabbit for now, then a deer or an antelope next year. He's not much on the birds yet, that Cheri's deal. She wants geese, ducks, turkey, pheasant, quail. blah blah blah...

What have I done! I need a helmet and 4 aspirin!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
ya'll did together will remain with ya forever and in priceless!

Thanks VA. That's exactly what I was after. They've had too little to hang on to.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
I felt as though I was with you the whole time.
You were... we just couldn't get the cell to cooperate most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
Thank you.
No Ma'am... Thank you. For everything. Now get yer butt out here so I can cook for ya!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Moose

Quote:
What have I done! I need a helmet and 4 aspirin!
Head On...apply directly to the forhead. Head On... apply directly to the forhead. Head On...apply directly to the forhead.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Moose

Quote:
You were... we just couldn't get the cell to cooperate most of the time.

No Ma'am... Thank you. For everything. Now get yer butt out here so I can cook for ya!

OH BOY!!! I can hardly wait! It does my heart good to see a man cook.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Head On...apply directly to the forhead. Head On... apply directly to the forhead. Head On...apply directly to the forhead
I hate that friggin commercial.......
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you