Old 05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Whitetail

Default hogs

Hey Rick,
It's all good, I get to experiance the "magic powder" every group of hunters, and have taken my turn running for the trees. It's amazing the way this works, you know it's gonna hurt, but just can't help but try it anyway. We knew he was on to something, the first time we saw steam coming out of the septic tank vent., but have no fear, we keep plenty of popsicles handy for folks to sit on.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Yeah but I'm stayin far away from the "Magic Powder"! I don't want to be stuck against a tree!

Sorry if you read this preacher!
Ahhhhh, so you heard of it!!!! It has another more definitive name as I understand it!!!! I stayed away from it as I was afraid to embarrass them!!! (myself really!!!)
You guys are gonna have a blast. There's alot to be said for delayed gratification. Stick to your guns, dad, she'll appreciate it more than you or she knows at this time. But, there will come a day, when she will say thank you for the fim hand. Mor youngsters out there are missing that and we see it all around us where ever we all live. One example, look at the high school parking lots!!!!
We'll be looking forward to telling Becca, in her time, "AAta boy, girl!!!!".
Old 06-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Bighorn

Default Ever feel like you're on a wheel??

This trip has been wrought with moments of excitement, followed by days of despair and angst, then right back up the adrenaline pole again!

Cale asked me other day what ironic meant. All I could was laugh. Once I got control, I told him this:

Well Cale, Ironic is a descriptive word. It's based on the word irony.

(I got the blank stare, so I changed tactics)

Think of it in terms of this: We blew through all of our savings to get set up. We paid for all the gear we need to go on the trip. We paid for the bows, the cases, the shafts, the targets, the sights. We searched forever to find the right place with people that would be helpful. We paid for the hunt in full. We made arrangements to go see your great grandfather on the way, and gave him something to look forward to. We practiced like crazy every night, swapped out equipment when it was defective, and spent a ton of money all for this trip. What we didn't do... and this is the irony of the story... was have a plan for the worst case scenario.

(Again the blank state)

We didn't plan on your mom needing a Gall Bladder surgery, (why would someone plan for that anyways). We didn't plan on our bills suddenly flying through the roof, the price of gas increasing exponentially, etc. etc. etc. So we didn't have a good plan for funding the actual trip down there. Not one. When it came time to pay for the mileage... well.. we blew it.

We prepared like crazy for everything except how to get down there. That's ironic.

(He got it)

That was then. As fate would have it... (and I realize I may be tempting it right now) we found the money for the trip. I don't know how... I don't care how... but the wheels have aligned themselves and although things will be kinda tight, we're going for it. Period. Damn the torpedoes, as it were.

Since we have roughly 2 weeks to the day until we pack up the van and head south-east... I will set the following expectations:

Either my next update will include details of a fun trip down, followed by an up to the minute desciption of the hogs and their demise....

or you will read my obituary.

Either, I hope will be written eloquently.

::heavy sigh::
Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Musk Ox

Good Man!!!

You and yours have been through alot!!!!

Your teaching your kids a valuable lesson!!!

Don't ever give up!!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Moose

Eloquently..hmmm...

We'll see what we can do for ya. I think it would be best if you just come home and write your report on the beasts' demise.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Bighorn

So here we are at T-minus 2 weeks and counting!

I can't explain how fired up I am. Not just for me but for Cheri and Cale too. Honestly, it's been a long time since I've had this feeling. I guess I can only describe it as the "Childhood Christmas Anticipation", but the addition of the others makes it twice as bad. If this is ANYTHING like SWD... God help me come August.

I keep going over the list, and over the list, again and again. I know everything is purchased that we need, but I can't help it. Nothing like feeding the OCD huh?

A long time friend of mine had a birthday last week so we called him. I am so glad we did because he suggested a few money savers for us. Thanks Tom! 70 years old and you still got it!! He's really awesome.

Well I need to go over the list about 3 more times before bed time so... I'll end this now. This week is gonna go by quick, then next week I'm gonna be a big fat ball of excitement!

WOOHOO!!! Santa's almost here!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Caribou

Awesome Rick, glad you worked it out!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Musk Ox

Can't wait to read how your hunts go!

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Bighorn

Default One day and a wake up...

Well... here we go!

They day started off with a phone call from Cheri's boss. Moron couldn't find his butt with a GPS locator and all of Cooner's dogs. So we got up and started packing.

Cale is bouncing off the walls. I've known this kid for 4 years now, and I have NEVER seen him more excited and animated about anything. Cheri got things started in the house by laying out her stuff and gathering our camo gear. Cale and I removed everything that didn't absolutely need to be in the van. Then he vaccuumed the whole thing out and I got to packin it up.

We left the bows out so we can do some more low-light shooting with them later on tonight. Kevin introduced me to something called a Hawg-lite. This is an interesting tool that slips in where the stabilizer connects to the riser. Well... the muse struck me last night... and off to Lowe's we went. I found all the parts to make one, so I made three of them. Man they are cool looking too. Beats the heck out of the electrical tape and flash lights we were trying Sunday night. Here are the things I used and the final product. Kinda proud of it actually.

So... all we really need to do now is pack some clothes, which is almost done, and watch the minutes tick by.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Moose

Holy crap!! Rick, that is awesome!!!!!!!!

You are a man of many talents!

Believe me, EVERY opening day and EVERY out of state hunt will feel like Christmas!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com