Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Whitetail

Default I need HELP!!!! Bear help!!

Hellooooo all you bear experts! I need hhheeeeeellllllllpppppp!!!

Im writing to you from north Idaho with a bit of a situation. We got record snowfall this year and even got quite a bit of snow in April. It's finally clearing up and the snow is melting off. Needless to say we're getting a late start on baiting. Camp is coming up in less than 3 weeks. I'm going to start the baits this week. I REALLY need to supercharge these baits to maximize our chances of bringing in the bruins.

Please advise oh wise ones!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Aaron
Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Caribou

Aaron, have never tried this, but this is from another site I go to. personnally, would use essence of shellfish or bacon to get their noses going. plus, lazy and not going to be carrying in buckets and ladders.

When baiting for bear, it is very important to differentiate between "Feed" bait & "Stink" bait. A good stink bait can/will bring in bears from up to 3-4 miles away- I'm not joshing you. Feed baits on the otherhand, will keep the bears coming back and will turn your bait site into a "regular stop" on any bear's rounds which take anywhere from 2-3 days to complete. Stink Baits will bring new bears in.

The best stinkbait recipe that I can offer is the following:

- Go to local fish market and ask them for their fish scraps (you want to fill a 5 gallon bucket HALFWAY for each stink bait you want to concoct).

- Mix a 1/2 gallon of Liquid Smoke (a bar-b-que sauce) Apple Flavor into each 5 gallon bucket of fish scraps. You now should have a 5 gallon bucket that is filled 3/5ths of the way up (2.5 gallons of fish scraps & .5 gallons of Liquid Smoke). Stir it up real good. NOTE: you can buy Liquid Smoke in bulk online- just do a Google search for it if you can't find it in bulk locally. This is a KEY ingredient! Don't attempt a cheaper substitute!

- COVER the bucket with a very secure lid and then duct tape the lid to the outside edge of the bucket very well going around the circumference of the bucket.

- place bucket in a BLACK garbage bag and knot it.

- place black garbage bag in another BLACK garbage bag and knot it.

- place in a very sunny area in your backyard and let it "stew" for 3-4 days.

- Take to your baitsite (still in double black bags), along with heavy gage wire and a screwgun/drill equipped with a 1/2" bit.

- Get to bait site, rip off both Black garbage bags, KEEP COVER ON. Shake bucket up very well.

- Drill a series of 1/2" holes on the side of the 5 gallon bucket above the level of your fish scraps/liquid smoke concoction. Clothespin for your nose is optional. You'll want holes around the entire circumference of the bucket, stagger them in terms of height. No holes should be within 3" of each other. You should be able to easily drill 20 holes in the bucket following these guidelines. This will allow air to pass into & out of the bucket very well & carry the stink to the bears.

- Attach heavy gage wire to bucket handle VERY securely.

- Attach other end of heavy gage wire to a good size limb of a tree in your bait area! Remember, this is a stink bait used to Bring bears in! You'll need feed bait there to feed the bears once they show up. Ideally, you want this positioned so the bottom of the bucket is at least 7-8 feet off the ground. If you can bring a 6 foot step ladder in and find a stout tree limb that will allow you to "hang" the bait bucket so there is nothing climbable within a 6 foot radius of the bucket- all the better!
__________________________________________________ _________

Follow these instructions explicitly & I will promise- you'll have NEW bears at your baitsite within 4-5 days (unless of course, your baitsite is on 5th Ave in New York City!). Put a trailcam up so you can see for yourself how effective/swift this Stink bait recipe is. I've hunted bears with many outfitters in Canada & I learned this recipe from one of them about 5 years ago. Two years later, we were at another Outfitter's camp & I shared this recipe with him when he told me he had 4 bait sites that he thought should be getting ripped apart- but weren't getting touched.

Two weeks after we returned, I got a call from the guy- he decided to try it out on 2 of the 4 sites......... Within three days, he had pictures of multiple boars hitting the baits where he used this recipe! I went back the following year & he only charged me 1/2 price as the recipe was now his "ace in the hole" stink bait recipe for ALL his bait sites. His shot opportunites (all bowhunters) in the last 2 years have gone from 68% to 90% since using this stink bait recipe. If it's helped out a professional Outfitter to this extent, it should most certainly help you.

Good Luck,

you also have to remember that a bear coming out of the den will still have that "plug" in it, so they won't be hitting any baits right off. give them a few days to get that plug out and you should be in business.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Antelope

I'm no expert but I like "rotten" meat to attract bears fast. I prefer (and so do the bears) fresh meat for bait.

Also when I'm openning up a new bait I like to hang a jar of scent called "Knockout" by James Valley Scent.

It smells like propane!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Aaron, have never tried this, but this is from another site I go to. personnally, would use essence of shellfish or bacon to get their noses going. plus, lazy and not going to be carrying in buckets and ladders.

When baiting for bear, it is very important to differentiate between "Feed" bait & "Stink" bait. A good stink bait can/will bring in bears from up to 3-4 miles away- I'm not joshing you. Feed baits on the otherhand, will keep the bears coming back and will turn your bait site into a "regular stop" on any bear's rounds which take anywhere from 2-3 days to complete. Stink Baits will bring new bears in.

The best stinkbait recipe that I can offer is the following:

- Go to local fish market and ask them for their fish scraps (you want to fill a 5 gallon bucket HALFWAY for each stink bait you want to concoct).

- Mix a 1/2 gallon of Liquid Smoke (a bar-b-que sauce) Apple Flavor into each 5 gallon bucket of fish scraps. You now should have a 5 gallon bucket that is filled 3/5ths of the way up (2.5 gallons of fish scraps & .5 gallons of Liquid Smoke). Stir it up real good. NOTE: you can buy Liquid Smoke in bulk online- just do a Google search for it if you can't find it in bulk locally. This is a KEY ingredient! Don't attempt a cheaper substitute!

- COVER the bucket with a very secure lid and then duct tape the lid to the outside edge of the bucket very well going around the circumference of the bucket.

- place bucket in a BLACK garbage bag and knot it.

- place black garbage bag in another BLACK garbage bag and knot it.

- place in a very sunny area in your backyard and let it "stew" for 3-4 days.

- Take to your baitsite (still in double black bags), along with heavy gage wire and a screwgun/drill equipped with a 1/2" bit.

- Get to bait site, rip off both Black garbage bags, KEEP COVER ON. Shake bucket up very well.

- Drill a series of 1/2" holes on the side of the 5 gallon bucket above the level of your fish scraps/liquid smoke concoction. Clothespin for your nose is optional. You'll want holes around the entire circumference of the bucket, stagger them in terms of height. No holes should be within 3" of each other. You should be able to easily drill 20 holes in the bucket following these guidelines. This will allow air to pass into & out of the bucket very well & carry the stink to the bears.

- Attach heavy gage wire to bucket handle VERY securely.

- Attach other end of heavy gage wire to a good size limb of a tree in your bait area! Remember, this is a stink bait used to Bring bears in! You'll need feed bait there to feed the bears once they show up. Ideally, you want this positioned so the bottom of the bucket is at least 7-8 feet off the ground. If you can bring a 6 foot step ladder in and find a stout tree limb that will allow you to "hang" the bait bucket so there is nothing climbable within a 6 foot radius of the bucket- all the better!
__________________________________________________ _________

Follow these instructions explicitly & I will promise- you'll have NEW bears at your baitsite within 4-5 days (unless of course, your baitsite is on 5th Ave in New York City!). Put a trailcam up so you can see for yourself how effective/swift this Stink bait recipe is. I've hunted bears with many outfitters in Canada & I learned this recipe from one of them about 5 years ago. Two years later, we were at another Outfitter's camp & I shared this recipe with him when he told me he had 4 bait sites that he thought should be getting ripped apart- but weren't getting touched.

Two weeks after we returned, I got a call from the guy- he decided to try it out on 2 of the 4 sites......... Within three days, he had pictures of multiple boars hitting the baits where he used this recipe! I went back the following year & he only charged me 1/2 price as the recipe was now his "ace in the hole" stink bait recipe for ALL his bait sites. His shot opportunites (all bowhunters) in the last 2 years have gone from 68% to 90% since using this stink bait recipe. If it's helped out a professional Outfitter to this extent, it should most certainly help you.

Good Luck,

you also have to remember that a bear coming out of the den will still have that "plug" in it, so they won't be hitting any baits right off. give them a few days to get that plug out and you should be in business.
thats a good idea that I will have to try.

timba
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Caribou

Do a Google search for Cameron Hanes and "bear crack". He and friend of his developed this recipe while baiting in Oregon and now on Prince of Wales Island and he says it's by far the best bear attractant he's ever seen.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Do a Google search for Cameron Hanes and "bear crack". He and friend of his developed this recipe while baiting in Oregon and now on Prince of Wales Island and he says it's by far the best bear attractant he's ever seen.
I managed to find it

Bear Crack Recipe Ingredients: Marshmallows, powdered Jell-O mix, syrup and
granular sugar

1) Fill up a decent-sized pan, one that your wife or girlfriend is not going
to need back I might add, about halfway with marshmallows. Dump in a half a
package of powdered Jell-O mix; add a quart of syrup and a pound or so of
sugar.

2) Set pan on a single burner propane stove and bring to a slow boil. Stir
occasionally
while letting the Bear Crack boil. The sweet smelling smoke emitted from
this concoction then wafts through the timber and pulls all those big bear
in like they were on a string. This is some good stuff and once the bears
are hooked, look out. Sometimes there is very little you can do to keep them
from coming to the bait whether youíre ready for Ďem or not.

3) Just for those special occasions, we also have a separate pan to fry up
some bacon while at the bait and then dip it in the Bear Crack. We called
this candied bacon and oh boy, we only do this if there is somebody
available to serve sentry. Those big olí ornery boars can only stand so much
before they just up and decide to crash the baiting party.

4) After the Bear Crack has boiled for about five minutes or so, we dump the
liquefied mixture onto dog food, nearby stumps or anything else in the area
that we donít mind whether it gets torn up or not.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Whitetail

Default Thanks guys

Theans guys those sound like great ideas. I think i will try the bucket idea and the bear crack. They both sound useful. I will keep posted as to how things are working. My only worry is the late snow season. It's finally stopped snowing and it's melting off pretty quick so i hope those bears are ready to eat!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinarcher View Post
Theans guys those sound like great ideas. I think i will try the bucket idea and the bear crack. They both sound useful. I will keep posted as to how things are working. My only worry is the late snow season. It's finally stopped snowing and it's melting off pretty quick so i hope those bears are ready to eat!!!
It is the same here,I went out just over a week ago and I could hardly get around with the quad and 7 days latter(this last saturday) we went up and placed our baits and not a sign that there was even any snow there and the misquitos were getting bad.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

here is my recipe for the best bear bait i have ever used .. and easy too..
a twenty pound bag of dog food..
one gallon of cooking oil..( used cooking oil is the best ..)
add oil to dog food and mix .. spread it around or leave in a bucket.. works every time.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Bighorn

Hey I check out that Bear Crack stuff...

The first pound was really good, but now my fingers are all green from the jello and I may not sleep for a week!

What'cha got that'll kill a major sugar buzz??