Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Caribou

Default 4th year in a row

I've never considered myself a very good turkey hunter...but maybe I'm starting to figure these suckers out!

Saturday I started out filming for my buddy George and his mom. She'd been seeing birds daily (for nearly 2 weeks) in the small field behind her house. To make a long story short, they never showed and never made a peep! (Stupid turkeys) My guess is, they were roosted nearby, and even though we were set up silently by 5:20, they busted us somehow.

Around 9 we called it quits there and George and I hit another piece of property, running and gunning style, leaving the camera in the truck as it was sprinkling and a storm looked imminent (though it never showed up!)

Walking about 1 1/2 miles, calling every 100 yards or so, we'd not heard a peep. We tried calling softly, calling agressively, calling as 1, 2, and 3 hens, switching up calls, scratching the leaves, EVERYTHING, without a peep!

I was getting frustrated and had just told George that this was the 1st time in 4 years I hadn't had a chance to kill a bird on the first day of the season. A few more steps and one gobbled on his own about 100-150 yards in front of us!

We hit the dirt (we'd just crested a hill while walking a nice wide open trail through a hemlock grove) and I pulled out an aluminum slate call and cutt on it. GOOOBBBLEE! We're officially in business!

George pulled out his decoy and stuck it in the trail and we hurriedly moved off to the side and set up agains the only available tree. I was trigger man and George was my backup as it was THICK where we were.

I cutt again and he answered again, closer! Facemasks and gloves are on, guns are up and we're ready. One more cutt and he hammers back just down the hill.

A few minutes pass and George whispers "I see him!" just as I catch movement through a tree top and can barely make out the red, white and blue head of the bird in full strut on the trail, checking out our hen. A couple more steps forward and he's in the clear for me, but he decides to go to the left!

I told George, "It's thick over there, I'll have to take him the first shot I get. As soon as he passes behind that big tree, I'll move the gun and when he steps out, I'm going to kill him." Out of the corner of my eye I see George's left hand slide to the ground.

The tom moves behind the tree, I slide my gun to the narrow opening on the other side of it and take the safety off. Just then the bird steps out and George scratches the leaves! The tom hits the brakes and pops his head up, I put the bead on his wattles and pull the trigger! BOOOOM!

The rest is history!

20 lbs 3 oz, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Caribou

Hey great story and great bird!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Moose

Sweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice pics! Congrats thats one heck of a bird.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Caribou

Way to go man.............. super nice ..........THUNDER CHICKEN............
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Musk Ox

Beautiful Tom!! Congrats to ya!!! That Leaf scratching really can convince one to check into your calling!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Caribou

you're learning !!! awesome hunt and congrats on yur bird.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Caribou

Thanks everyone!

Back at it yesterday with George. Heard lots of birds on the roost but apparently, they had too many girlfriends with them and we couldn't pull the toms away.

After making a move, we got a group in a field and I brought the hens and jakes into range, but George elected to pass on them. Season is still young and we know of lots of birds around the areas we hunt. No hurry!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Bighorn

Awesome birds my friend!

I'm up and about now, so I'll make sure Cheri gets a good eyefull. Hopefully I'll match ya next year!