Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Whitetail

Thumbs up Turkeys in the rain

Living here in Wisconsin we do not have the long turkey seasons other states have. We have to draw tags for one of six different 5 day seasons. I drew the first season this year. We have had a long very wet winter and spring. I was not detoured by the reports of rain for the whole weekend. I was able to take a Friday off work get up to the turkey woods. I woke to a steady rain in the morning but decided I paid for the gas might as well hunt. I placed my decoys in the food plot where our deer stand is located. I placed the decoys, sat down and the turkeys immediately started gobbling. The rain was really coming down so I was glad I put a rain suit on under my camo suit. I made a couple of cuts and suddenly I had a big tom walking right to the decoys. He was at full strut and headed right toward my struting decoy and knocked him over. He was at 14 yards in the pouring rain. My suggestion is to hunt when you can because turkeys still act the same in the rain. I was rewarded with a 27 pound tom with 1 1/4" spurs and a 10 inch beard.