Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Bighorn

Default bear scents

has any one tried the bear scent products,I was thinking of giving it a try this spring.

http://www.bearscents.com/index.html

timba
Old 01-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Moose

A friend of mine used them in Saskatchewan. He said they worked. I have never used them but maybe thats why I never killed a bear?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose38 View Post
A friend of mine used them in Saskatchewan. He said they worked. I have never used them but maybe thats why I never killed a bear?
thats where I hunt bears too,try to get things lined up for spring.3 more months
Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Caribou

used some scents last may in Idaho. anise, vanilla extract, and essence of shellfish. con't remember what company I got the shellfish from, but it seemed to do the best job.

best way to get scents out that I have found: take a used pad from your thermacell, cut it in half, soak it in lure(scent)and turn the thermacell on. works great as it is always heating, and spreads the scent for hours. IMO
Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Bighorn

another thing we tried this spring was taking KFC oil and doing a burn with it.The smell of the oil would make me so hungry.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Caribou

did the same thing where I was, but I took sandwiches after we did it the first time. and cookies, and water......
Old 01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

well this is how i do it ., i buy anise, mix 1/2 and 1/2 with water,. and vanilla extract , and mix 1/2 and 1/2 with water., put in spray bottles., then i get frying grease , and i get a bunch of bakery goods from my buddy that owns a grocery store., i dig a hole and put the bakery good in there ., and then cover up with logs., i then put the frying grease all over the logs and bait ., (this way when the bear come in the will get that frying grease all over there paws ., and when they leave they Will leave a scent trail right to the bait ., for other bears., when I'm done with the grease, i then spray the liquid stuff all over the place to eliminate my scent, seemed to work for me up to this point ., Ive also done a honey,and bacon burn ., thats the way i do it .,
Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsqueeze View Post
well this is how i do it ., i buy anise, mix 1/2 and 1/2 with water,. and vanilla extract , and mix 1/2 and 1/2 with water., put in spray bottles., then i get frying grease , and i get a bunch of bakery goods from my buddy that owns a grocery store., i dig a hole and put the bakery good in there ., and then cover up with logs., i then put the frying grease all over the logs and bait ., (this way when the bear come in the will get that frying grease all over there paws ., and when they leave they Will leave a scent trail right to the bait ., for other bears., when I'm done with the grease, i then spray the liquid stuff all over the place to eliminate my scent, seemed to work for me up to this point ., Ive also done a honey,and bacon burn ., thats the way i do it .,
I'll have to try that,what is anise?

timba
Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Caribou

Timba, its in the spice isle, and expensive. we used the real stuff that was like 22/bottle. maybe someone else can tell if the "artificial" stuff would work. it is a liquid just like the vanilla extract.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Muley

check out bearscents.com and we LOVE the shellfish oil, this stuff has worked EVERYWHERE we have used it all across Canada and without a doubt one of the best scents to use. Be prepared for it really stinks BAD.....Ralph
Bear n Down Baby....