Old 04-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Bighorn

Question Ghille Suit

Hey here's a question I've been mulling over recently. Maybe you all can shed some light on it.

Cheri and I got real creative, and thought about how well a Ghille suit might work with deer. We tossed the idea out simply because it really is a strange concept... at least in the way we were thinking of implementing it.

Since then, we've been exploring other hunting options, and the hogs have been heavy on the radar, but I really want to go after some turkey. The camo is already handled, but... staying true to character... I want more!

Do you think a Ghille suit would be a factor, assuming it blended well, or would it just create a mess that really should be avoided.

I am about 1/8 completed with it, and the burlap is really making me itch...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Caribou

It would definitely work. I don't know how big of a pain it would be though. In the rain, I bet it'd be HEAVY though!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Elk

Ditto what Adam said. It would work just consider other factors like getting wet and even more importantly if you do it with a bow consider keeping it out of the way of your bowstring by using a forearm guard like you would if you were wearing a thick jacket.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Bighorn

Here's what I've got so far. The net/burlap will overlay the Flight Suit. It takes a long time but once this is all on there, I will have to dye the strands and drag it through the dirt for a while. The head dress is gonna be a bear... and HOT! Oh man hot... We've all put a bunch of time in on it so far, and I'm not sure, given that we're only this far, if it should be abandonded for a more practical approach.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Elk

That is awesome! We really need a DIY page to post threads like this on. Other people could do that too. It'd be a cool project. Nice job Rick and Cheri.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Elk

Sounds like a great project. One piece of advice, I would not use it in TX for your July Hog hunt. You will die of heat stroke!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Caribou

Ameristep has a new 3d poncho for this year, looks pretty cool I may have to get one!!
http://ameristep.com/blinds/3d_poncho.html

I've got a Rancho Safari shaggie suit right now, it works well I even use it while goose hunting in corn fields. When I got mine I put tied it to an anchor and let it float in our creek for a couple days to wash all the scent out of it. Then I dug a hole big enough to put it in and mixed creek water and dirt to make a nice muddy pit, then I rolled the suit around in it and buried it for a week. Once I dug it up, I pulled it around a picked corn field with my four wheeler for a while and hung it up to dry. Once dry I took a 3/4" sapling and beat the tar out of it to knock the mud loose. Lots of bs but there is no unnatural scent left on it and with all the mud and other gunk mixed into the fibers it blends in really well.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Bighorn

Deb: HECK NO!!! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the first one in recent Texas history to shoot a hog BUCK NAKED if that heat is even close to what they tell me!

Tim: You sure you have any of the suit left???
Geez I was waiting for "I set it on fire, shot it 4 times, and had a priest give it last rights before I burried it."

Thanks for the idea though on the 4 wheeler. I was thinking of tying it to Becca's bike and letting her drag it through the fields by our house!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Deb: HECK NO!!! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the first one in recent Texas history to shoot a hog BUCK NAKED if that heat is even close to what they tell me!
I believe those would be some intersting pics. Might need to use photoshop with that black square to not offend tender eyes here!!!!!