Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Black Bear

Eagle now THATS funny!

Ever called in late to check your traps!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Caribou

No pics right at the moment but I'll see if I can dig some up.

I HATE dealing with the mud in k9 sets, so this year, I tried something different. I went with ALL hay sets for k9s.

What you do is get a "slice" of hay from a bail, 2 traps, stakes, and some fox urine or gland lure.

Stake your traps by putting the stakes side by side then set each trap and place them 180 degrees from each other. (They don't have to be bedded like a traditional dirthole / flat set at all but I like to make sure mine sit on flat ground.)

No take the slice of hay and shake it out over the traps so there is a light coating on them (too much make cause the trap to plug up and not fire correctly) and then use the rest to make a mound over the stakes between the traps.

Now just add a squirt of urine, some gland lure, or I've even used mouse meat to the hay between the traps and that's it!

So simple and so effective it's ridiculous!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Caribou

Adam, pretty much the same thing I do, but use the whole bay and 4 traps. just in case. have had a 2fer a couple times. drive the stakes thru the bales and put them on the corners.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Antelope

On occasin during early October here in Pa. I'll open up a bale or two of hay or straw along a field edge near a game trail. Then add some corn, wheat, etc. to it so the mice find the food and make themselves a nice little home in the hay/straw. While out bowhunting I'll walk by and add some more corn so the mice are well fed and have a happy colony going. Then after the first few cold snaps I'll come back and make dirt hole sets around the bedding material maybe a scent post set or two along the game trail where it enters the field. I've found this setup to be the ticket on coyote and red fox around my farm.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Black Bear

Thanks for the info guys. I'm getting back into it and your tips are very helpful.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Antelope

Default Trapping

http://cajunbill.proboards92.com/index.cgi
Good traping info.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Caribou

Added a red phase female yote to the list of victims of the hayset on Saturday. Got a couple beavers now too.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Added a red phase female yote to the list of victims of the hayset on Saturday. Got a couple beavers now too.
Thats pretty cool! I never trapped for coyote. I might have to give it a try next year.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
POST PICS!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Caribou

Here's some pictures finally.

Most aren't very good but my trapping partner Chris has more I'll add when I get them from him. Check back for updates every now and then.

http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.fre...h/2007Trapping

Thanks!
Adam