Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Musk Ox

Default Need some help!!!

I walked the 400 acre farm I hunt the other day to check out the damage left behind from logging. After I wiped the tears from my eyes I started thinking about the upcoming season.

I figure this is a perfect example of where "I need to make lemonaid" so I need some advice.

There are tops laying everywhere and also several new logging roads where they plowed right through the timber. My plan is to clean it up the best I can but also try to make a few funnels in the process.

Have any of you had to deal with this and what impact did it have on the hunting???
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Caribou

When areas get logged around here, that's where the deer flock to.

As soon as the operation is done, they move in and start feeding on the tips of the branches (I've seen them do this anytime of year, not just in winter when you typically think of them feeding on twigs and branches).

Now that there is much more sunlight reaching the forest floor, a lot more plant life will grow. Grasses will sprout up in earnest and (if you're lucky, IMO) briars will too.

I LOVE to hunt cuts! Cuts = food AND cover!

I'm sure the farm will be fine. Don't worry about cleaning up but if you feel the need to funnel the deer to a specific tree for the best stand placement, now is the time to do it.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Antelope

absolutely...the deer will be there this year for sure!

instead of putting all the effort into "cleaning up" i would concentrate on finding the routes they will be taking around the property...bedding to feeding etc.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Elk

Sound like you'll have tons of food source and a bunch of natural ground blinds!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Musk Ox

Your replies tell me that I'm at least on the same page with you all. I need to do some cleaning just so the deer can get through the areas...and I'm definitely gonna' create a few natural ground blinds. Most importantly, I'm gonna' create a few funnels.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Bighorn

You should see what the strip mining companies are doing to my mountains out here near Leadville.

Make you sick to you stomach.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Musk Ox

More sun getting through usually means more browse for the deer. You might consider planting some small food plots this spring were those funnels are for holding the herd. And ground blinds are a blast both natural and tent types. The lemonade will taste all the sweeter if you make right.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Caribou

I don't know if food plots would work. FireDivers property's are like 10 acre woodlots surrounded by a million acres of corn and soybeans, mostly corn.

Ok, so I'm exaggerating a little, it's probably more like 8 acre woodlots surrounded by a million acres of corn!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by firediver View Post
Your replies tell me that I'm at least on the same page with you all. I need to do some cleaning just so the deer can get through the areas...and I'm definitely gonna' create a few natural ground blinds. Most importantly, I'm gonna' create a few funnels.
Don't fret. I was in a treestand this last year and unbeknowst to my the abutting owner had decided to lumber, with numerous men, trucks and skidders. I sat for two hours in the tree less than 1/8 of a mile from me and was getting ready to stand up when I saw a doe sneaking from the sound of the saws. She definately had them within earshot and probably could see their movement but she wasn't making any mad dash to get out of the area.

I checked the next day and there were tracks all over the logging area. They love it.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Black Bear

I've hunted logged areas up here before. Actually pick up some land(642 arces) that hadn't been hunted in over 40 years. The owner owns a logging company and decided to start right away. Cleared alot of timber out in the first few months and pulled out in time for me to start bowhunting it on Oct 1.

Shot two buck off of the same skidder trail that year out of the same stand three apart. Since then have shot atotal of 5 bucks from that one stand. All of the skidder trails have started to grow lush green grass that the fields don't even seem to have. The owner was back in again last spring and punched another trail towards the north property boundry line. makes it very easy for me to slip into my stands now with out much noise. There has been an was again this year scapes the size of the hood of my truck on that trail and very large track walking up and down the trail. Seen a buck one day out of the stand at the trail head that I know woukld have went easy 160"+. Clearly could see lots of horns at 150 yards through the hardwoods just never presented a good shot oppertunity at 131 yards. Didn't have a scope on the muzzleloader, sure wished I did because I've shot lots of target at 120 yards in the open. There didn't look to be anything in the way but I wasn't sure so I wouldn't shoot hoping he'd close the disance he never did.

Sorry for hijacking your post, just thought I share that story.

Matt