Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Antelope

Quote:
as far as tips, not sure there is a formula for it. depends a lot on what the guide, not the outfitter, does for you. tracks the bear, skins it, quarters it, hauls it out for you. and are they trying/doing everything they can to make your hunt successful? the better they are, the better the trip. last years hunt, tipped my guide $150. we all just threw everything into a pot and gave it to the outfitter to divide up. he did some of the guiding for all of us, so we never knew how much to give him. so we told the guides what we did so they knew we left the money for them. and don't forget about the cook tip also. seems like that should be included, but its not. figure $50-75 for that also.
Our guides do it all, they take you to and from the stand, bait the site, track and cape your bear for you. This is an all inclusive type hunt. The only thing we pay for is our license. I was figuring $150-$200 for the week as a tip. I wont forget the cook either and thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
tap the bear on the nose if it gets to close with an arrow. not going to use my foot like they do in the bear-n-down videos. like my body parts where they are.
I will be rifle hunting with my .338 Ruger MK II. I would hate to have to shoot a bear that I did not really want to harvest if it became too aggressive and I was forced to do so.

Last edited by Buckfever4life; 04-03-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Antelope

Buck

I have an older SBK four gun case that I use. I have it unlocked when I go to the airline check-in counter. Most airlines have you sign a form saying the gun is unloaded and then have you place it in the gun case. Then I carry it over to the TSA counter for them to check. I then have been ask to lock/secure the case and they take it from there. The next time I see it is when we land in Canada then Customs does the same thing again. Some of the new cases have the color coded TSA approved locks so the TSA agents can check inside the case and/or luggage without having to ask you to open it.

No ammo in the gun case, have it in your check through bag. It can not be in your carry-on luggage and must be in an approved ammo box (same box it came in type) Do not have them in a rifle sling and belt holder carrier, I made that mistake once; they took it!

Don
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Antelope

Thanks Don,

I will contact the airlines regarding ammo and rifle locks.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Musk Ox

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/licences/
Sorry if I told you wrong. The outfitter I went up with is very law a bidding. He sent us all the information on the laws each time.
Here's the link for hunting in SK.

They have changed things a bit but when I went up there in 2006 the outfitter did sell licenses and the spring of 2007 the outfitters were not allowed to sell them. If you can buy it from the outfitter that's the way to go.

Have an adventure and Kill a trophy. I'd recommend watching some of the videos by Ralph and Vickie to help you size one, they are tough.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Antelope

I actually spoke to Ralph on the phone about this outfitter. I was wanting to get a show set up for "The Choice" last year. I also contacted Russ Thornberry of Buckmasters about this outfitter. Both of them have used this outfitter in the past on a hun and both highly recommended them. If I could only get over my fear of flying, I will be doing good. I think I will be chewing some xanax on the flight....lol...

P.S. Does anyone know if you can small game hunt while you are Spring bear hunting? Do they have wolf or cougars up in the woods?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Antelope

There is no small game season open for non-residents during the spring i just checked through the hunting guide. There are cougars and wolves not sure if you can shoot a wolf in the spring or not cougars are protected in Sask. Here's the link to Wholesale sports in saskatoon.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlin...trol/store_loc
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Antelope

Thanks for the link to the sporting goods store in saskatoon. We are flying in on Sunday, so they will be closed. Maybe we can drive down there in the middle of the week and check it out, or sop there before out flight departs on Saturday. I wonder if we buy something there, if we can have it shipped back to the states? I wonder what they will have different that our Cabelas here?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Antelope

Ok, I am finally packed and finished. I got all my camo cloths, camp clothes, scent-free soap/deoderant/laundy soap, new pack of socks, new pack of underwear, frog togg suit, white parka, medium weight carhart camo coat, insulated underwear, rubber boots, camera, binoculars, range finder, thermacell with 4 pack refill kit, bug net-type suit with gloves, head net with neck cinch, couple of hats, rifle in metal locking case, shells, passport, several forms of ID, unsigned firearm declaration form and money. I used the vaccum seal bags and got everything (besides a small carry-on) in a duffle bag with wheels and telescoping handle. I got the rifle case bungeed to the duffle bag. Anything else you all see that I might be overlooking?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Bighorn

the partridge.... Oh and the pear tree. Sounds like you got it all so long as the rifle is in the case. Good luck and post pics!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Bighorn

If your looking for a good taxidermist my hunting partner as a shop in llyodminster,he does all my work.He might be cheaper then orion tax.I looked at getting my lynx done there a few years ago and it was way to much for me.

good luck,I'll be out that week to hunt bears north of llyod.

timba