Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Antelope

Quote:
What you need to do is find a form that you like.....and then wait for a bear that size. Just take a tape with you and while he is feeding on the bait, sneak down and take a few measurements
I will get right on that, I guess I should be sure and take someone with me that I can outrun, right?........lol

That is a nice looking mount, I only see one pic though.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by firediver View Post
What you need to do is find a form that you like.....and then wait for a bear that size. Just take a tape with you and while he is feeding on the bait, sneak down and take a few measurements
Hey, we just proved to him that the proper way to measure is with the hide off, don't go confusing him!!!

Glad we could be of help Buckfever!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Antelope

Quote:
Hey, we just proved to him that the proper way to measure is with the hide off, don't go confusing him!!!

Glad we could be of help Buckfever!

LOL....you guys are a riot...thanks again for the help

Firediver, here is a mount similar to what I am thinking about.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Antelope

I see your other pic now, I saw that log mount in the taxidermy catalog, isnt that the "form type" of log that needs painted as opposed to a real log?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Musk Ox

First off....the mount you like is the most common and my favorite. You should have no problem finding a form to fit your hide (I'm confident you will score)

The log is foam which is the way to go. It would be very difficult to find a real limb to fit that form, it would be heavy and it would probably be full of bugs.

The foam limb is very easy to paint. You just apply a few coats of a darker shade of gray and let it dry for several days. Then apply stain until you get the look you desire.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Antelope

Quote:
First off....the mount you like is the most common and my favorite. You should have no problem finding a form to fit your hide (I'm confident you will score)

The log is foam which is the way to go. It would be very difficult to find a real limb to fit that form, it would be heavy and it would probably be full of bugs.

The foam limb is very easy to paint. You just apply a few coats of a darker shade of gray and let it dry for several days. Then apply stain until you get the look you desire.
The guide says most hunters score, the ones who dont are the ones who are holding out for a certain color phased bear. It is a 5 day hunt with Larson Lake Outfitters in Spiritwood, SK. I am pumped up. The only thing that I am nervous about is the flight...lol...but we are taking to flight which are under 2 hours each.

I like the faux log mount, but I dont know if I got the wall space for such a mount, the way it is now, with the partially standing mount that I am thinkg about, my wife will have to start sleeping on the couch because I got to get rid of our queen sized bed and buy a twin sized.....lol........
Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Antelope

Quote:

The guide says most hunters score, the ones who dont are the ones who are holding out for a certain color phased bear. It is a 5 day hunt with Larson Lake Outfitters in Spiritwood, SK. I am pumped up. The only thing that I am nervous about is the flight...lol...but we are taking to flight which are under 2 hours each.

I like the faux log mount, but I dont know if I got the wall space for such a mount, the way it is now, with the partially standing mount that I am thinking about, my wife will have to start sleeping on the couch because I got to get rid of our queen sized bed and buy a twin size.....lol........
Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Musk Ox

The faux log mount is designed for a small bear....FYI

I may have missed it.......is this your first bear hunt?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Antelope

Man… have you people been busy. I saw this post this morning before I left home with no replies and now…wow! I have not taken the time to read them all but here is my two cents:

I have been bear hunting twice – Idaho in 2002 and British Columbia in 2004 – from the east coast. I was successful on both hunts and followed the same routine each time. My hunting buddy and I carried all our guns and luggage with us with; only minor problems. We try to have two hours or more between each flight change, this allows the airline more time to transfer the gear from one plane to the next. In BC, our guns arrived but no luggage. The airline did deliver the bags, out in the bush, the next day. We brought our hides back with us for our local guy to mount. The guides did a great job preparing the bears for the trip home. We had them salted in a cooler, no problems with the airline or US Customs. Have heard some horror stories about leaving them but all the hunters I know that have done that came out fine, may take a little longer. Having two or more hunters allows for at less one extra bag, this means we did not have to pay extra to fly the capes home. We had both, sometimes as many as four, guns in one SKB case.

I have my binoculars, cameras, etc in my carry on or lock them in the gun case; if there is room. I would not care if those baggage handlers lifted my shampoo but not my10x42’s. Also there is a lot of weight in these items, I have a backpack that I use to take on the plane. Be careful with sprays and scents – some airline does not care for them too much. Large bags can be over the size limit, check the airline requirements. They have learned that they can pick up some easy extra cash this way. You are not going to cancel your hunt over being charged an additional $50-$100 for over size or over weight bag(s). And they can get you for both; they did me in Montana in 2006! Be sure to have your passport with your boarding ticket; I do not think Canada allows Birth Certificates now. Have your Canadian Firearms Forms completed but DO NOT SIGN IT, they want to see you do that in person.

Hope you have a great hunt, be sure to post some pictures when you return.

Don
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Musk Ox

It might not be an option for you.....but I try to fly non-stop if at all possible. One less opportunity for the luggage to get lost.