Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Musk Ox

Here is another reason for bringing your hide home with you......$$$$$$
It costs me $28 per foot to get a bear tanned here in the states. I left a bear hide in Alberta a few years ago to get tanned and it ended up costing me $350....and no, the bear wasn't 14' long
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Antelope

I want a full body mount, our local taxidermist charge $1500-$2000, its about the same in canada with the exception of shipping ($500-$700). Locally, bear rugs are $100 per foot.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Musk Ox

If it were me....I would definitely skin the bear down the back and bring the hide home with me. There are a few measurements you can take off the bear that would be a great help for your taxidermist.

All measurements except A are taken after the bear is skinned.

"A" is from the tip of the nose to the front corner of the eye (not shown)
"B" is the neck circumference
"C" is the belly circumference
"D" is from tip of nose to base of tail (Most important in my opinion)

Last edited by firediver; 04-01-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Musk Ox

If your guide does not feel comfortable...or doesn't know how to skin them down the back, just cut from the base of the skull down to the base of the tail. Next cut the tail bone close to the carcass and then start skinning the bear.

Once you get to the legs just take your time and work the skin off down to the "wrists" where you can just cut through the wrist joint...leaving the bones in the paws.

Once you have the majority of the hide removed....just skin up the neck and remove the head near the base of the skull.

THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT....MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST TAKE ME WITH YOU
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Antelope

I just called my local taxidermist and he told me that if I had him do the mount, to take 3 measurments, #1 corner of eye to tip of nose, #2 tip of nose to base of tail, #3 girth at its widest point and to take these measurments prior to skinning. He said he would make arrangements to meet me after our flight to pick up the frozen hide. He does some work for Buckmasters and has won several awards, so I feel it is in good hands having him to the work. Plus I will save $500 - $700 in shipping fees from canada. The taxidermist says he knows guys who have been waiting for 3 years to get their mount back from canada.

Quote:
THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT....MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST TAKE ME WITH YOU
Will you fit in a carry on bag?

Last edited by Buckfever4life; 04-01-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Musk Ox

I won't debate what your taxidermist told you as far as measurements go....but the proper way is to do it skin off. No biggie....I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

As far as the neck measurement goes....it is just a good one to have for reference. I've mounted 4 lifesize bears and didn't have any measurements from the hunter. That makes it a little interesting but that is typically how it goes.

If a taxidermist doesn't know how to figure out the correct measurements just from the hide......he is in for a lot of work.

Last edited by firediver; 04-01-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Black Bear

We brought our frozen hides and skulls back on the plane, just like they were frozen fish. They went through the long flight from Vancouver to Indianapolis (including layover) just fine. As long as the hides are prepped properly like Firediver said and then frozen really good. We had no problems. I personally wouldn't send my gear ahead, unless I sent it ahead by several weeks as things seem to get loss. I have flown with rifles many times and as long as you have your ammo in another area and are prepared to take the extra few minutes to have it inspected, sealed and locked, we have had no problems. Honeslty we have had more problems with our bows than with guns. Be sure and have your paperwork accurate and ready. Also, your passports.

We have shipped our stuff HOME using UPS, that was easier, because he had bear hides/skulls to deal with at the airport on the way home. On one trip my husband didn't take his bear till last minute, so we left it with the outfitter to freeze and then take to taxidermist. When we finally got the bear pelt home it had slipped a bunch of hair. So our lesson was to try and keep all of our stuff in our possession if at all possible.

Have a great trip, we look forward to reading about it here.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Caribou

Firediver knows what he's talking about, those measurements are supposed to be done after skinning but go with what your taxidermist wants.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Firediver knows what he's talking about, those measurements are supposed to be done after skinning but go with what your taxidermist wants.
I am not doubting that he knows what he is talking about, but my taxidermist said make sure to do those measurments before any cuts are made, he said this will ensure a good fitting mount and will actually be a bit bigger than if you were to measure it once caped. This taxidermist has been working for over 30 years. I will actaullay do both sets of measurments after harvest and after skinning to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for the replies

BTW: I got my hands on a huge alaskian style duffle bag with wheels and telescoping handle to put all my gear in, and strap my gun case to the bag. Does anyone know of the restrictions that I can put in the bag as far as scent spray, thermacell canisters, thermacell devices and binoculars. What and if I should use a carry on bag. The flight is less than 5 hours total between both flights. I wonder if I should carry my camera and bino in a carry on or stuff them in the duffle bag?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Musk Ox

Once you choose an airline....go to their website to find out their restrictions. This is the best source of info....

I do know that you can't have a container of liquid much bigger that 2 or 3 oz in your carry one. I'm sure anything larger will be fine in your checked bag.

I need to look into the thermacell issue myself.