Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Black Bear

Default elk hunting

Looking into a montana elk hunt for next year near the Lolo forest. Anyone have any info on this area? How are the elk numbers?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Caribou

cpd, thats the area that I bear hunt in. better be in shape for that kind of hunt. what they call hills, we call mountains on steroids. best bet to get in shape, walk with about 50 lbs on your back and breath thru a straw while doing it. as far as the numbers, they are down a bit all over out there due to the wolf problem. but as we speak, the seasons are opening for them. at least until the tree huggers step up and throw the injuctions at the states.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Black Bear

Also looking into an Idaho bear hunt next spring. Am bouncing back and forth between Montana and Idaho for Elk. Any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Caribou

Are you looking into a DIY or outfitter based hunt?

If DIY, do yourself a favor and subscribe to Eastmans Hunting Journal or Eastmans Bowhunting Journal. As far as I'm concerned, they're the leaders in big game hunting out west. In the subscriber edition of their magazine ONLY, they have a MRS (Member Research Section) that details several states each month. It goes over things like tag fees, application deadlines, population numbers, areas to concentrate on, areas with best trophy potential, etc. Basically, anything you want to know.

Other than that, I'd suggest getting on some the states DNR website and start reading. That's what my brother and I did to research our hunt and then we started making phone calls. From the sounds of it, we chose a pretty productive unit in Colorado for a DIY hunt. Come September, we'll find out how well we did for real!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Whitetail

Just a thought but look into the winter kill out west before you apply. Im hearing some parts of Idaho, and Colorado got hit pretty hard this year. This usually will affect the deer more than the Elk but I would talk to the biologist in the area before I applied.

I have hunted Montana twice and it was great both times. Last year I was in NM and hope to be back there with my son again this year.

Don
Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Elk

Hunting in the bitteroot is great. Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks counted over 1000 head of elk in the bitterooot recently and over 1000 head of moose. There are also an estimated 65,000 deer there. You should be able to find the info on the Montana FWP website. I don't know about outfitter tags but regular out of state tag drawings for elk and deer end March 15th. However, they still have antelope and doe tags until June 2nd. Good luck. Down around Hamilton the hunting is not so bad. There is also great hunting in the Gallatin range just outside of Belgrade/Big Sky, MT. You might check that out. Tons of elk there. Last big herd I saw was 300+ elk pouring out of the Helena National Forest. It was in impressive herd with a good number of mature bulls.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak