Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Bighorn

I had some steel force I've had for a few years,this year I decided to try G5 montecs
Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Antelope

for fixed heads...

ive used the muzzy's for years and the last couple mx-3's. this year im going with the bunker busters from trophy ridge...ive got friends who have used em and they are nasty.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Muley

OK, here is my 2 cents....I ahve been shooting the Spitfires for a longtime and they have always performed flawlessly and you want a head that puts them down fast....SPITFIRE Baby! But after seeing what we have done with the Hellrazors, and especially Vicki shooting under 60 lbs these babies are the real deal and depending our your setup, if you are shooting more KN then Spitfires will rock, or if you like a fixed blade that flies laike a dart, cuts everything and destroys bone without destroying the head...get ready to rasie some Hellrazors! You can't go wrong with either. Ralph
Old 03-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Black Bear

Since switching over to compound bow I haven't used nothing but the Muzzy 3 blades 100 grains and every deer that I have shot with them as went down within sight of the treestand. Been thinking of trying out a mechcanical broadhead but just have never took the time. Hard to change from something that has done a good job in the past.

Matt
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Antelope

i know mechanical BH vs. fixed have been debated to death (no pun), but i still have a hard time justifying the risk of failure with mechanicals; even though admittedly this risk is small.

these fixed blades they put out today are razor sharp, nice cutting diameters and for the most part can fly like field points.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Caribou

hellrazors are what I will be using on the next bear hunt. going with a solid blade this year as I broke a blade on the thunderheads last year. also use the magnus 4 blades. paper tune your bow before you decide how they fly. have them both shooting 10's at 40 yards now.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Whitetail

Default I have shot both mechanicals and fixed.

Mechanicals are fine when conditions are right and you have the luxury of taking your time for a perfect shot. Fixed blades like the Muzzy are more tough and forgiving. The only experience I have with mechanicals is into layered targets. After one shot my point was destroyed and could not be shot again. This is when I decided to stick with (I made a funny) fixed blades which can be shot into a layered target almost forever. I would use mechanicals on deer but never a bear.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Elk

Slick Tricks or G5 Montecs are quite deadly. Don't know anyone that has tracked more than 40 yards with the Slick Trick Magnums. The have a 1 1/8" cutting diameter and are only 23 bucks a 3-pack. Both the Slicks and the G5's will fly precisely where your field points would with no "tuning" or adjusting for broadheads. I found the Muzzy 100 gr. 3-blades to fly a bit squirrely out of my bow. Mechanicals - I've played with a bunch. I've used NAP Shockwaves, Trophy Ridge Rockit and Bullets, and G5 Tekans. All have been pretty good but the Tekans are awesome! I also have some American Broadhead 100gr Sonics but have not shot them at an animal. They fly well from my bow but they only have a 7/8" cutting diameter and that makes me a little nervous. Perhaps I'll use them on hogs.

I would go with Slick Tricks.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Muley

Send a message via AIM to Moon Send a message via Yahoo to Moon

For me mechanical broadheads aren't really an option with my low draw-weight and the fact I don't hunt from a treestand, but a ground blind with shoot-through mesh. Therefore, I use fixed blade broadheads only. I started out using NAP Thunderhead 100-Grain (1-3/16" cutting diameter) broadheads, but had an issue with penetration when tuning my bow to the broadheads. After some examination I found out the tips on the NAP Thunderhead were hindering my penetration because it was blunt and not cut-on-contact. So, I ended up switching to some cut-on-contact style broadheads. After testing a few brands I ended up finding that the ABC Buckmaster 100-Grain broadheads (1-1/8" cutting diameter) shot best with my setup. I gained nearly 5" of penetration with them over the NAP Thunderheads that I was shooting. They also flew closer to my field-tips position and were very quiet in the air. I also even gained some arrow speed and in turn kinetic energy with them. I really am quite impressed and satisfied with the ABC Buckmaster broadheads. The blades are able to be replaced just like my old NAP Thunderheads were, they are super sharp out of the pack (I found out the hard way when installing them on my arrows...lol) and very durable (I killed a tree last archery season and I could still reuse the broadhead by just putting in a fresh set of blades.). I haven't drawn first blood yet with these broadheads (unless fresh sap counts?? LOL), but hopefully this hunting season I can report back with my findings.

[MySpace][CamoSpace]
Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Caribou

Default moon

you must of got buck fever...lol that has happened to all of us. hope you smack a deer this fall, deer taste better than sap..haha......good huntn!