Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Black Bear

Default broadhead choice

Trying to decide on what broadhead to use. It is hard to decide. Every company of course claims they are the best and everyone else not good. Don't always trust the celebrity endorsers either cause of course they are geting paid. Anyway I am leaning towards NAP crossfires or Steel Force broadheads. Anyone use either of these and wha do you think?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Caribou

I don't think you could go wrong with either head, I've shot both. I had a hard time with inconsistent flight with the crossfires (may have been my bow tuning?) so I chose not to shoot them. I shot steelforce for several years and took several animals with them, even a 315# black bear with a 53# recurve (got a pass through with that setup). They penetrate like crazy, fly pretty good and aren't really that expensive. The only complaint I have is that the heads tend to bend fairly easily (my experience) and the bleeder blades break off too. Right now I shoot spitfire xp's and love them, but depending on draw weight and type of game they might not be the best choice. I'm gonna try and do some recurve hunting this year so I'm either going to shoot the Hellrazors or Razorcaps (both by NAP). The razorcaps are longer and have a wider weight range than the hellrazor, but the hellrazors seem to be a much tougher head (similar design to a G5 montec but much sharper). Both heads are scary sharp right out of the package, I have shot both and can honestly say point of impact is very close to my field points and they both group very well. The only reason I shoot the spitfire's out of my compound is that I want a larger cutting diameter (1 1/2" on the spitfires 1 1/8" on the hellrazor and razorcap) but with the lower draw weight with the recurve I would rather shoot one of the other heads for more penetration. Also last fall you could find "bonus" packs of the Hellrazors that had 4 broadheads for the same price as a 3 pack (about $32 I think) I've still seen these available this spring but don't know if that will still be available as time goes on.

Hope this helped and didn't confuse you more!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Moose

If you are looking for a mechanical head. I would go with spitfires! They have yet to fail me to date 10 years and counting. If you are looking for a fixed head checkout the Hellrazors. I shot a deer with them this past year and was impressed. I did buy a pack of crossfires. I shot them to see how they flew. They flew great I never shot at animal with them though. So I am no help for yyou with them. I love NAP broadheads they seem to be the best in my opinion. So I wouldnt see why the crossfires would be any different.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Caribou

Ditto on the above post!!! You can't go wrong w/ spitfires or hellrazors.
NAP Spitfires
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Muley

Another vote for the Hellrazors or spit fires. Used them both and they work as advertized,

I have also used the steel force and they worked well as well... So keep them in your list and get your buddies together and have a broadhead fling day and see what you like the best flight wise.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Whitetail

Hi right now i and my son are shooting steel force, like the way they shoot,they get the job done, sharpest to come out of the package i ever seen...are compounds are set at 50 to 55 lbs. ke about 40,my son hit a doe 4" back of last rib as it was walking away about 20 yards an it came out though shouder plate 6" front other side. i try differant broadheads from time to time an end up coming back to muzzy, but steel force has 1 me over for now.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Musk Ox

I have shot the crossfires and imho they are not all that great. They didn't fly all that great. I like to practice with broadheads and not some practice head but the real deal. That one thing you can't do with a mechanical because you tear them up real easy. The spitfires do fly great though when I shot them at a block target and the size of cut they ought to do wonders for tracking.

I like to be able to sharpern the head back up cause they will get dull. I found them to be very diificult to resharpen. They do make replacement heads for the crossfire but then they don't always fly right.
I have used the razorcaps and they are a great head and sharpen up. The hellrazor is the same. G5 montec is also good and it does sharpen. The steelforce heads I haven't used.

Has anybody tried the NIGHTMARE HEADS YET from NAP?????
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Black Bear

I also use the quick spin vanes and 've been told that the crossfires work well with those.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Black Bear

Hellrazor Hellrazor Hellrazor one of the best fixed blade heads I have ever used and they are you can resharpen them as well
Old 03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Antelope

I have been using Muzzy MX-4 the last few years. Ill shoot everyone in my quiver to see how they fly and tweek if needed only had one that didn't fly very well changed up a blade and put it back on track.