Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Muley

I'll be out hunting with Huntquest this Sept....... looks like a real good place to go, with over the counter archery tags
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Elk

I hunt elk every year I get drawn (and tag along on the years that I don't) with my wife's family in the bitterroot valley. They live in Stevensville, MT. Usually someone in the family gets a bull. I've helped drag them out but have yet to pull the trigger on one. Rifle hunting them this fall but next year I'm finally submitting to my brother-in-laws request and I'm going to bowhunt them with him. He calls them in. Should be a good learning experience for me, and from what he says will offer me the best chance to finally bag my first bull. Elk...talk about some tough hunting! I'm always ready to get on the plane and go home after a week of chasing around those ghosts!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Caribou

Oh I can't wait to start calling in those BIG'OL bulls!!!!!!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Black Bear

Me,
Love to hunt them, I have done archery and rifle, and have only been successful with a rifle so far. If I could afford it, I would hunt elk, every fall until I was too old to make it up and down the mountains. If you have never done it, try it, when you in the mix of bulls bugling it is one of the most awesome things to experience.
Shame there are none here in Indiana
Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Bighorn

I've been hunting elk for about 7 years now,I've had some close calls with the bow but only got a cow so far with the rifle.

timba
Old 03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Muley

I'm no expert, but I have been elk hunting a number of times. Always out of Colorado, but this year will be CO and MT and I am excited about it!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntquest View Post
I hunt elk every year!!
Are they outfitted hunts or do you do self-guided?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Huntress View Post
Me,
Love to hunt them, I have done archery and rifle, and have only been successful with a rifle so far. If I could afford it, I would hunt elk, every fall until I was too old to make it up and down the mountains. If you have never done it, try it, when you in the mix of bulls bugling it is one of the most awesome things to experience.
Shame there are none here in Indiana

From everything that I see posted or talked about it seems like it is a royal pain or near impossible to get tags in most places. I seem to remember watching one of the hunting shows recently where the host said that he had been trying to get a tag for over 10 years.

I think that I would just about have given up at that point and just gone down to the local grocery store and bought a state lottery ticket for a better chance at winning something.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbowhunter21 View Post
Are they outfitted hunts or do you do self-guided?
I have hunted elk for over 30 years now, my dad took me on my first elk hunt when I was 8 years old.

I go elk hunting for myself every year and I also guide hunters every year. I have been a licensed outfitter in Colorado since 2002 and a guide since 1984!

Colorado has OTC elk tags for Archery season (Either-Sex), 2nd Rifle season (Bull) & 3rd Rifle season (Bull).
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

Alberta also have over the counter elk tags.. archery season from aug 25 till sept 17 either sex bulls over three point or better and then rifle season till Nov 30 bulls only three points or better bulls..Also over the counter moose tags achery only from aug 25 till sept 23 bulls only bull moose with a rifle season draw only.Over the counter deer archery either sex aug 25 till sept 17 and rifle november 30 plus.... any takers...