Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Caribou

GWH, since you said the same things I did basically, have to ask how camo breaks up your silhoutte? unless you have branches around you and a big enough trunk behind you, what would camo do to break up the silhoutte? can see how it would make you blend in, but? and think I mentioned I have never hunted turkey, so can't speak of them. and in illinois, we have to wear blaze orange(400 sq inches)when gun hunting. I worry more about shadows than camo. like you said, movement is a no-no.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Elk

TLC:

When I'm talking about breaking up your silohuette (sp?) I'm talking about making your body blend in as much as possible with your surroundings like you are. I spend most of my time in a treestand. So, if and when I use blaze orange I wear a blaze orange camo with branches and twigs and things in the camo. I'm trying to go out there and blend in. The bottom line is that I always try to blend in with my surroundings by wearing clothes that break up the sillohuette of something that doesn't fit there (me). Hope that clarifies.

Now, when I hunt in Montana I try to stay inside tree lines. If I'm out in that Brown rolling grass with nothing to hide behind and I'm taking a long shot with a rifle I might where just a plain vest. When I'm hunting elk, I'm wearing my blaze orange camo parka for sure (heavily wooded and subzero). I am usually walking down game trails to a "good spot" then still hunting up against a tree.

Trees are an integral part of my hunting pretty much everywhere especially since I've begun bowhunting. I have also been known, as you have stated, to brush in a natural blind situation with branches, etc.

You brought up a great point about UV. I read a study that suggests deer can see concentrated amounts in clothing.

And, if you ever go turkey hunting, you've either got to me in a ground blind wearing black with the back windows closed, or you've got to be camo'd from head to toe. I've been in situations where 1 step at a hundred yards has gotten me busted. They are tough, and see like the dickens! It's been said that if turkeys could smell they'd be nearly impossible to hunt. I wouldn't go that far but it'd be enough to drive me crazy.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Caribou

I've heard and read the same thing about the UV. thats why I use the HSscent away laundry stuff at first, but then switch to arm and hammer baking powder from then on. easier on the clothing, less fading from I've seen so far.

we can't use the camo orange here for whatever reason. so its all blaze to me.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you