Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Caribou

Question What Do You Think Could Change?

Now after reading through the NIU Shooting thread I was thinking what are everyones thoughs on why these shooting take place? and what do you think could be done to help stop shootings like this?

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Caribou

make it legal for everyone to carry a sidearm. students, teachers, everyone. most, not all, would think twice before starting to shoot if they knew there was a chance of being shot back at.

when I lived in Az, way back when, their violent crime rate was one of the lowest in the country. but everyone was allowed to carry a sidearm. never knew if someone was going to shoot back. and that was before all the illegals too.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Caribou

Well Put! See of you look back years ago when everyone carried a gun with them and back then there were no school shootings or things like that. That's one thing I like about NM lots of people carry, and if you talk to some of the law enforcement they will tell you that most of the crimes are on victims that looks like they have no way to defend themselves.

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Moose

Well this is a good question. I have no idea what would cause someone to go off like that. I read today where you are allowed to carry firearms on S.D. campuses. They are hoping this will prevent shootings.

Heck 15 years ago when I was in 8th grade. I carried a 12 gauge shotgun on the bus. I was doing a demonstration speech on how to clean a shotgun. Those days are long gone...
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

Adam you are right ., that is a good question., you know ., i think that it starts in grade school.,then in high school.,the pressure these kids are in now is way more then i had back in the day ., Ive watched my oldest daughter go through school and pressure increased starting in the 3rd grade., I'm like what the heck!! now my youngest daughter is in 9th grade and i see even more pressure., now i could be wrong but that is where i think it is starting ., just my opinion!!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Black Bear

Just scary to see that this is what we are now living in and it could happen anyday. I have to agree that maybe if everyone carried a firearm, it might make another person second guess pulling the trigger.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Caribou

bh9797, not even sure that everyone would have to carry. just the thought that maybe someone else is carrying would be a deterrent.

missed the part about what would make someone do this. not going to make friends here, but think it starts with parenting. actually, lack there of. wayyyyyyyyyy back when when I was growing up, my parents were always around for us kids(4 boys). now a days, some parents buy their kids playstations, x-boxes, computers, and such, and just kind of ignore their kids. and as stupid as I thought it used to be, what kind of messages are kids getting these days from the video games that are out? know back in the day, we looked for reasons to stay out of the house. now, it seems that kids want to be IN the house. JMO.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Moose

Well said, TLC! I totally agree with you on all points!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
make it legal for everyone to carry a sidearm. students, teachers, everyone. most, not all, would think twice before starting to shoot if they knew there was a chance of being shot back at.

when I lived in Az, way back when, their violent crime rate was one of the lowest in the country. but everyone was allowed to carry a sidearm. never knew if someone was going to shoot back. and that was before all the illegals too.
I now these shooting happen alot more down there then up here but I agree let people carry guns,at least some one will have a fighting chance to protect there own lives if need be.

Its certainly not fair when a screwed up person walks into a room of unarmed people and opens fire and he knows he's the only one with a gun.

the world is getting scarery place to live,I live in a town of about 3000 people,its an oil town with lots of money and drugs and I worry about my kids growing up here but its like every town with oil in alberta the drugs are and so are the crazzy people that come with it.there was a guy chopped up with power tools in town becasue he owed some guy 1200$ for drugs.There has been shooting over things too.

I try and spend as much time with my kids so they grow up to be polite and understanding off other peoples feels,I want them to grow up and enjoy the outdoors,fishing and hunting not sitting infront of a tv or games all day.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Caribou

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
bh9797, not even sure that everyone would have to carry. just the thought that maybe someone else is carrying would be a deterrent.

missed the part about what would make someone do this. not going to make friends here, but think it starts with parenting. actually, lack there of. wayyyyyyyyyy back when when I was growing up, my parents were always around for us kids(4 boys). now a days, some parents buy their kids playstations, x-boxes, computers, and such, and just kind of ignore their kids. and as stupid as I thought it used to be, what kind of messages are kids getting these days from the video games that are out? know back in the day, we looked for reasons to stay out of the house. now, it seems that kids want to be IN the house. JMO.
I agree 100% I think that is one of the biggest problems!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS