Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Caribou

Question Wood Heat

Hey I know this dose not have a lot to do with hunting, but I was wondering, how many of you use wood to heat your house?

Out here it's the most use method.

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Antelope

We burn wood in a Harmon wood stove. Alot of work...cut,load,unload,split,haul to house,stack,carry into house to load stove ever few hours, take out the ashes. Not to mention never being away from home for more than 6 or 7 hours at a time so the stove doesn't go out.
I bought a second stove that burns wood pellet last year putting it in as an insert in the living room fireplace. We use it when the weather turns cold and you need a fire 24 hrs a day. Alot less work and much more efficent. Though pellets run $210/ton for one month heating.
I'll never get rid of the wood stove...nothing like a wood fire to warm your toes. Just nice to catch a break from the pellet stove at times.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

used to do wood heat! and i miss it alot! the way my heat bill is this year ., i might have to look into something to take off the big$$$$$
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Elk

had a fireplace in my old house before my first marriage broke up. don't have one now.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Chickie View Post
We burn wood in a Harmon wood stove. Alot of work...cut,load,unload,split,haul to house,stack,carry into house to load stove ever few hours, take out the ashes. Not to mention never being away from home for more than 6 or 7 hours at a time so the stove doesn't go out.
I bought a second stove that burns wood pellet last year putting it in as an insert in the living room fireplace. We use it when the weather turns cold and you need a fire 24 hrs a day. Alot less work and much more efficent. Though pellets run $210/ton for one month heating.
I'll never get rid of the wood stove...nothing like a wood fire to warm your toes. Just nice to catch a break from the pellet stove at times.
Yeah if I had my choice I would have to have both as well love the smell of a wood stove but you can't beat the heat you get from a pellet stove.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Moose

I wish! When I remodel my kitchen, I'm thinking about putting in a wood cook stove. It's not the same, but it'll do.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Black Bear

I had a Vermont casting wood stove in my old house, I loved it. My heat never went on. I filled it twice a day from fall to spring. The best was all the wood was free. I have been thinking about getting another one for this house. I hate those gas bills! Now if I can figure a good way to get free electric I would be set.

Take a kid out shooting. Try 3-D, they love it.

Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus- Now On Order!!!
FMJ
Scent Lok
Old 02-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowmike View Post
I had a Vermont casting wood stove in my old house, I loved it. My heat never went on. I filled it twice a day from fall to spring. The best was all the wood was free. I have been thinking about getting another one for this house. I hate those gas bills! Now if I can figure a good way to get free electric I would be set.
I can tell you how to get free electric, but it won't be free. lol Go with solar panels. It's pretty spendy, but over your lifetime you'll be paying much much less than if you continue to pay The Man. There's even wind energy. Look at Mother Earth News if you want more ideas.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Caribou

Yeah Mother Earth News has some good ideas.

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
I wish! When I remodel my kitchen, I'm thinking about putting in a wood cook stove. It's not the same, but it'll do.
Yeah we have an 1942 Dixie wood cook stove and it's nice! dosen't matter if the electric gose out, or if the roads are to muddy for the gas guy to get to the house you still have all the heat you want plus their fun to cool with!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS

Last edited by bowing4bulls; 02-16-2008 at 10:49 AM.