Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Elk

Default I have GOT to get me a trail camera!

I've got deer living in my back yard, or at least coming through regularly. You can see tracks all over near the back of the yard, and I see them at night from time to time, but I can't tell what they are (buck or doe) or how big. I mostly see the tracks under this asian pear tree we have. the fruit never gets big enough for us to eat, but apparently the deer are chowing down big time!
We also have 5 or 6 big Chesapeake oak trees that produce so many acorns that it looks like brown snow, so I know they are coming after those, too.

what surprises me about this is that I only have about an acre, in the middle of an older subdivision. But they hole up in the hedgerows between the house behind me and to one side.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Caribou

Trail cams are awesome. I have one set up about 200 yds from a clover field in 15 year old birch growth next to a swamp and heavy spruce concentration. Within two hours of me checking my camera two weeks ago I had a yearling doe walk right up to the camera sniffing my tracks and camera. I saw her pic when I checked the camera this week.

It is a great way to see just what is walking in your woods. Even when I'm not hunting it keeps me excited about the outdoors.

Best of luck. Oh! And run right out and pick up a trailcam.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Bighorn

they are great,gives you an idea of what is in the area.I set mine up about 5 yards from my bear bait.

timba
Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
they are great,gives you an idea of what is in the area.I set mine up about 5 yards from my bear bait.

timba
i bought one last year ., and just loved it., timba , when you put it out for bear., how do you keep the camera from getting chewed up ., or have you not had a problem with that/
Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsqueeze View Post
i bought one last year ., and just loved it., timba , when you put it out for bear., how do you keep the camera from getting chewed up ., or have you not had a problem with that/
well if you know anybody that is good with a welder. You can have them make you a box that you can just drop the camera into so the bear can not get to it.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Antelope

we spray the unit with a scent eliminator...seems to work.

i know a friend of mine gets his atv seat ripped apart almost every year by the bears.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9797 View Post
well if you know anybody that is good with a welder. You can have them make you a box that you can just drop the camera into so the bear can not get to it.

ahhh yes i do ! thanks for the info- good idea!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsqueeze View Post
I've been lucky so far,I ratchet strap it to the tree tight.So far the only thing it as a few scratchs on it and has turned around the tree from the bears.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Muley

the cameras are addicting, you get 1 then you end up with 9+ like me! Now they are dropping their antlers but come late April, I start putting them out and all summer long till gun season, its a hobby that I am doing! Lots of fun plus I try and keep up with new technology.

Those bears can reak havoc, when a bunch of my old hoyt co-workers and myself went bowhunting in alaska, the bears were tearing up the seats here and there, but the biggest problem the outfitter had was the bears liked to get a hold of the atv tires and bite, chew, tear into them. That had to be expensive for the several they had, guess couldn't blame them for having more 3 wheelers than 4 wheelers, LOL.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Black Bear

I bought a cheap one. All I can say is Iím going to get a new one and not be cheap this time. You get what you pay for.

Take a kid out shooting. Try 3-D, they love it.

Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus- Now On Order!!!
FMJ
Scent Lok