Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck83 View Post
In the video you can't accurately judge how far away the ram is....I couldn't tell that it was entirely out of bow range, how could you? I also did not see the video of Ralph taking a bad shot, so I can't speak intelligently about it. My feelings however, are that this isn't the kind of behavior that you'd want young hunters or anti-hunters viewing.It just sets a bad example for youngsters and gives the antis fuel for their fire. Whether it was a joke or not...just not something that needed to be aired IMHO.

Wells said Youngbuck!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Black Bear

Yeah I do not think you could compare a hail mary shot at a goat to a shot that may be affected by the wind at a Caribo when we all know that 90% of yours shots at Caribo is when they are on the move anyway.

Last edited by bowhunter9797; 02-10-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Muley

Quote:
Originally Posted by firediver View Post
EXACTLY........

If you think a pot shot at a distance ridge compares to a questionable shot in the wind.....then I'm wasting my time debating you on this issue.

Do I think he was trying, or even thought he could hit the ram? Hell no!!!!
That is not the point. The POINT is......it should not have aired on TV. If he wants to waste arrows......go for it.

He said, "I'm not leaving here without taking a shot at a ram!". So that is what he did, he took a shot at a ram on a distant ridge.

Poor choice
We agree 100% that it was a poor choice. Where we do not agree is how the one poor choice is better than another. In actuality, a shot that has 0% chance of hitting something and was done in jest is less damaging than a shot that will more than likely wound an animal. From where I am sitting it seems like the defenses here are because of who did what and not what was done. Just my opinion, and I admit that I could be wrong.

I guess I just don't understand how anyone could be more upset by someone taking a shot they know has a 0% chance of wounding an animal, than someone taking a shot that has a very high chance of doing so. Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree here. No hard feelings either way.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Muley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9797 View Post
Yeah I do not think you could compare a hail mary shot at a goat to a shot that may be affected by the wind at a Caribo when we all know that 90% of yours shots at Caribo is when they are on the move anyway.
I have never taken a shot at a caribou that was on the move. Every one has either stopped on their own, or I got them to stop. It is not difficult to get a caribou to stop in my experience. This is in bow range however, and I have never tried to stop one that was beyond 50 yards away.

Again, I do not think it was a "hail Mary". It was a shot he knew could not get there. At least that is how I saw it. If I am wrong, and that ram was within range, then I absolutely agree 100%.

My point was that if we as a community are going to hold one person accountable for their actions, then we should not exclude anyone from the scrutiny just because we like them personally.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Musk Ox

In the beginning of the show the son was picking up a prototype X-Force bow set up for him at the factory. He pulled it at 90# and it clocked out at 372 FPS so I had to watch the rest of it. He also made a 100 yard shot on the range at the factory and center punched it.

The rest of the show per junk. The stupid trick of letting an arrow go at that range was an insult to all bowhunters. I don't criticize longer distance shots but that was an awful joke. The man was in terrible shape for the hunt and had no ability to get even in range of a legal ram. He should have stayed home.

These two had a show earlier in the year were they shot a bison bull in Arizona. A small first part was interesting so I watched it. The son made a terrible first shot. A side note that bison are extremely tough critters and shot placement is crucial like any animal. They tracked this one for several miles before they could take another shot on it and then put him down. Again this show needs some serious professional help.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingson View Post
I have never taken a shot at a caribou that was on the move. Every one has either stopped on their own, or I got them to stop. It is not difficult to get a caribou to stop in my experience. This is in bow range however, and I have never tried to stop one that was beyond 50 yards away.

Again, I do not think it was a "hail Mary". It was a shot he knew could not get there. At least that is how I saw it. If I am wrong, and that ram was within range, then I absolutely agree 100%.

My point was that if we as a community are going to hold one person accountable for their actions, then we should not exclude anyone from the scrutiny just because we like them personally.
I agree with you that we should not exclude anyone from taking a bad shot. No harm no faul we all have our own way of looking at things
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Muley

And I am the first to admit that my way of looking at things is probably as screwed up as a football bat
Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Caribou

Well one way I look at it, is that it's there show and if they want to do stuff like that and then put on there show, they do have the right to put what they want, should they have done that and put it on TV no, was it a jok yes was it a good one no, but hey it's done and over.

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Musk Ox

Good discussion.......but it is time to put it to bed!!!!