Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Whitetail

Default ?

Been a while. What happened looks like ghosttown in here?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Muley

I think its all my fault. About the time I signed on here, things started dieing off. I guess I've been driving the regulars off.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Whitetail

I guess times change and people move on
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Musk Ox

It's been this way since FB opened up. I don't FB but I assuming that most of V & R time is spent there these days ergo the rest followed them.

So are getting things ready for the season - what ever animal you are going after this coming season?
Me - I'm going it low key this season with whitetails only. Too much on my home front to make a trip west for elk and pronhorn or fall bear.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Muley

I'm doing moose deer and bear as usual, I missed out on the elk draw.

I've got an African hunt booked for May which I'm really excited about.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Musk Ox

African trip! Can you share some details on where, what outfitter, what animals are on your list for this trip, and are you using a bow or rifle? I've been wantinig to go just a bit of an issue with the wifey doing an African hunt. I like staying married.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Muley

I'm using a gun, since I'm more confident with one, and this is probably a one time only hunt for me.

I booked with Tarentaalrand Safari Lodge. They have a high fenced operation on 13,000 acres ( 20 SQ. MI.). I'm booked for a basic cull hunt for 5 animals over 7 days, but I've added one day and a trophy Kudu to the mix.

It's a 1:1 hunt for Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Springbuck, blesbuck, Warthog, and Impala. The list has groupings (1 of, 2 of, etc.). If I do get the choices I'd like, I'd go for Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Blesbuck and Impala, but you don't always see what you want.

The basic cost is $2,900 US, plus 1 day at $300, and the Kudu at $1,700. One guy who'd done it last year said he'd tipped about $100, and trophy prep. was around $400. I think shipping back to Canada would be around $500. With air fare in the $2,000 area and taxidermy of $1,000, I'm guessing it'll cost me around $9,000 to $10,000 all told (plus any souvenirs I might buy).

I booked through an Agent in Smith's Falls (near Ottawa). D&D Safaris (613) 219-3900.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Musk Ox

Sounds like a trip most would envy for sure, best of luck on your adventure to the dark continent and please took a bunch of photos for us --- please.