Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Muley

Default Jonah!

I've decided to name one of my rifles. Its my Marlin 1895 in 45/70. I'm calling it "Jonah".

I first carried it for 1/2 day in 2007, and two other members of the gang shot deer. I didn't take it back again 'till this year, and because of its weight decided to use it only when I was sitting.

On the afternoon of the first day, I decided to sit in a blind, so took it with me. One of the guys shot a buck. The next morning we were running a drive, so I took it along. Another guy shot two deer. I retired it for the rest of week 1.

On monday morning of week 2 I sat my blind again, and took the 45/70 - a guy shot a doe. That afternoon I decided to sit where I saw a bear during the moose hunt, so took the Marlin - another guy shoots a doe.

That night I told the guys how the gun was a jinx for me, but a good luck charm for everyone else in camp, and decided to leave it on the wall for the rest of the week.

The next morning when heading out, I tripped and got a bunch of mud in my barrel, so had to switch to the Marlin - guess what - the third guy shoots a doe. - thus using our last tag and ending the hunt.

Next year, if those guys want me to carry that 45/70, they'll have to come up with cash - and a lot of it!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Antelope

Boy, I might have to leave that gun at home. OR have someone else carry it.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Musk Ox

Find it another home!

If ya ain't comfortable with your equipment, you may as well not even have it!
I'd send it down the road right-dang-skippy. Good trading stock or convince someone they can't live without it.

Proud Parent of a Marine