Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Whitetail

Default Arrow weight for moose

My whitetail hunting arrow total weight including 100 gr broadhead is 362 grains. With my 70 pound bow I get a velocity of 307 fps. The Kinetic energy calculates to 75.8 ft-lbs. Is it advisable to change this set up for moose hunting?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1poper View Post
My whitetail hunting arrow total weight including 100 gr broadhead is 362 grains. With my 70 pound bow I get a velocity of 307 fps. The Kinetic energy calculates to 75.8 ft-lbs. Is it advisable to change this set up for moose hunting?
To me that seems like a very light weight arrow for moose. I'd worry about penetration with that setup. I have not hunted moose but I'd say with a fixed blade sharp broadhead you could do it. My suggestion would to bump that weight up and your speed will drop some but your K.E. and momentum will be deadly.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Muley

In crossbows, Excalibur recommends 350 grain combined weight for all big game. I don't feel comfortable with this, and I'm shooting about 430 grains for moose. This is with a 20" bolt, and I'd guess a longer arrow for a vertical bow would be heavier if the same weight shaft were used. I shoot aluminum, and have yet to shoot a moose with my combo.

I'd think a heavier weight would perform better on an animal like a moose with its thick hide and hard bones.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Caribou

With the good sharp solid broadhead you should be fine. 75+ pounds of KE is a ton. If your set up is shooting well and you can hit where you are aiming, stick with it. You'll get plenty of penetration. Good luck!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!