Old 11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Whitetail

Send a message via Yahoo to archerynut78
Default Video Help

Want to start videoing my hunts, I know this is a challenge but can anyone offer some advice on equipment I.E camcorder, editing software stuff of that nature...Thanks in advance guys
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Musk Ox

How deep do you want to get into it? Do you want to use an inexpensive camera (under $1000) or a nicer HDV camera ($3000-$4000)...or HD ($5000 and up)?

I'd be glad to help you out....just need more info

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Caribou

As FD stated we could offer more detailed suggestions if you gave us an indicator of how serious you want to get. We all seem to start filming as a hobby and a way to share our hunts with friends and family. As you realize how rewarding it can be to get good footage of a successful hunt you'll probably want to get more into it that a basic camcorder can acheive. A few basic pointers are - if you want good footage you'll more than likely need to have a cameraman (or woman), yes you can film yourself and it will work but it is very hard to get a properly framed and focused shot of a moving subject while you are also trying to shoot said subject! lol...Hunts where baits are allowed makes this a little easier, like deer or hogs under a feeder or a bear on a bait station. You can point your camera where you think the animal is going to be and just hit record, you could probably get some preroll of the animal before you shoot but after the shot it's almost impossible to get a reaction of the animal running away. So find a good friend who is willing to do this with you and split time in front of and behind the camera. Now for some of the more technical items that make it a little easier. First, get a camera arm that mounts to the tree if you do a lot of treestand hunting. The arm will make your footage much more stabil, especially when the person running the camera might be rattled by a big buck walking in or a gun going off. Also a tripod or monopod is a good idea, don't need to break the bank just something that is rated to support your camera with all the accessories you'll have on it (batteries, mics, extra lenses, or lights). These help a ton when hunting out of a blind, stalking, fiming recoveries, when you are zoomed way in on something, or even just getting scenic shots or time lapse stuff....nothing is worse than watching shakey footage. Along with the tripod and camera arm, get a good quality fluid tripod head, the cheapies just don't work that well for tilting or panning while actually recording. They may hold a camera steady while stationary but are all jumpy and jerky when moving. Another thing I strongly recommend is some type of Varizoom (there are other brand names but this it the one I'm familiar with). This allows you to run many of the camera functions like record, zoom, and focus, remotely (like mounted on the tripod handle). Again, that just aids in getting smoother footage. Wireless mics are a huge benefit too, but can be kinda expensive. I have tried some of the ones available for about $100.....don't waste your money, if you are going to buy a set get something a little better. Those are some of the basics that would apply to just about any camera (if you are going with wireless mics, make sure your camera has the required inputs). These things will help and make filming your hunts a little easier....good luck and let us know when you have more questions!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Whitetail

Send a message via Yahoo to archerynut78

Hey guys thanks for the input...I would like to start out relatively inexpensive seeings how I have no real exp and don't really want to tie up a bunch of money into something like this until I am sure it is for me... Any other advice is greatly appreciated
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Caribou

if you're looking for inexpensive, check this thing out. got one a year ago, and it works great.

www.insanearchery.com

hooks up to the same spot where you install your stabilizer. you can go to walmart, and get a digital video camera for under $300.00. this will get you started very inexpensively. then if you see that you like it, you can start getting the more expensive stuff.

almost forgot about this thing.

www.sportsmaneyewear.com

not sure how well it would work, but if you have a camera going on the shot, then you should be able to get the after the shot exit fairly smoothly with these? wife found this after the deer came thru the cab of my truck. said I should get some instead of a dash cam.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you

Last edited by TLC; 12-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.