Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Whitetail

Default Video Question- Manual White Balance

I'm running a a Sony FX1 and am trying to decide if I need to start running manual white balance in the field or if the presets are the way to go; adjusting colors in post production?

I'm trying to get as good an image as possible, obviously, and am not sure how often I'd need to take a new WB with the light conditions changing so much in the morning and late evening.

What to ya'll do in your filming?

Here is a sample of a color adjust I did in post with Sony Vegas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URk1vWq4P5g

Here is a sample of video i did with no ajustment to color in post..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z80Suddt2xw

It seems like I can get pretty good adjustment of color in post..

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Musk Ox

I've filmed with several different cameras (Sony V1U, Z1U, Z5U, etc) and I've yet to find a camera that wasn't too "blue" on Auto White Balance mode.

I've been filming enough now that I like to set my white balance on one of the presets...normally "sunlight". I then tweak it up or down manually + or - a step or two since 95% of my filming is outdoors. There still are times when I use a white card in the field.

If I go indoors, I will set the white balance with a white card.

The better I can get the camera set in the field....the less work during editing.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Caribou

I'm with FD, if you take care of it in the field it's less work for you while editing. I haven't taken the time to set my presets and typically carry a WB card with me in the field and tweak it if it looks necessary. Also I check it about every 10-15 minutes during morning and evening sits.....I know it seems tedious but I'd rather do it than have a subject look like a smurf!!! Good luck filming!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Caribou

BTW I'm using a Z1U

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Musk Ox

Tim.....take the time to set two of the preset buttons for white balance adjustment. Leave your white balance on "sunlight" and you will spend a lot less time using your white card.

I get a much more desirable look adjusting white balance this way instead of a white card.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Whitetail

Great info! I appreciate it.. Have you ever messed with using warm cards as opposed to straight white?

Are all white balance cards pretty much the same?

I should probably KISS but I like to know everything I can..
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Caribou

Scott that's what Fred and I did when we were in AB, it was a lot less screwing around....I'll try it this year, but just in the habit of grabbing the card and doing it.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftridge View Post
Great info! I appreciate it.. Have you ever messed with using warm cards as opposed to straight white?

Are all white balance cards pretty much the same?

I should probably KISS but I like to know everything I can..
The best way to prevent someone from learning something is to teach them everything!!!

Stick to white for outdoor filming. Heck, I just use a piece of white paper, the side of a white truck, or even snow. I think warming cards are best used when filming indoors (but I'm guessing there).

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.