Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Archer's Choice Media Forums > The ACM Hang Out

Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Black Bear

Default Treat The Landowners Nice & See What Happens!

For the past 3 years I have had permission to hunt 40 acres close to my place that is plum full of deer and turkey. 3 years ago when I located the landowner in another state and got permission (he had never given anyone else permission), I called him "Sir" and when he talked I listened. He gave me permission to hunt the land for as long as I wanted.
Last year, I called him to thank him for letting me use his land and renew my permission. We were on the phone for an hour. Once again, I respectfully called him "Sir" and listened while he spoke.
Tuesday, I called him to thank him again and renew my permission. He told me that the property was being sold in 30 days for back taxes. I told him that I was sorry to hear that knowing it had been in his family for over 100 years. He asked me if I wanted to buy it. My exact response was "I would love to buy it but doubt I could come up with the funds." He was quiet for a moment and then said "You have always been very nice to me and I think of you as a friend. I would rather catch the taxes up and sell to you than let some scheister steal it." He went on to say "If you can pay me the $1700 I owe in back taxes and give me $100 per acre, it's yours." I was dumfounded! I explained it was worth more than that. He said maybe so, but he hadn't been to the land for 40 years and he would rather see it go to a nice veteran. Long story short, we're signing the paperwork tomorrow.

When you get permission to hunt someone else's property remember that it is their land and you should respect them and their wishes for allowing you to hunt. In the end, I just received one of the greatest gifts one could ever want just for being polite.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Moose

WOW! That is awesome!!

Manners sure do go a long way with most folks.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Caribou

Great fortune for you, but it's sorry to think that things may be so bad for the gentleman selling you the property that he can't afford the taxes on a property that had been in his family for so long.....just a sign of the times I guess. Thankfully you were able to come up with the funds. I know people in my area that pay more in taxes for one year on 2 acres, than what you are buying that for!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Black Bear

I live in an economically depressed and very rural county. There are only 9000 people in the county. Prosperity left here in 1940's and therefore property taxes are low. The seller does not have any heirs and is in his mid-80's. The company that bought the tax lien has been calling his house 3 to 4 times a week telling him to go ahead and send the title and abstract and they'll pay off the taxes and keep his credit history from being damaged. They can't take possession until July if he does not pay the taxes. I am very blessed to have him want to sell to me. There's another landowner down here that has 90 acres and keeps telling me when he decides to sell, he'll give me first option. His annual taxes on 90 acres of timber is $124.00. He's talking of selling it to me for $500 per acre (double of what he bought it for). But once again, I have helped him on his land, treated him with respect, and always leave the land after hunting without leaving any sign that I've been there.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Musk Ox

Congrats on the land!
A buddy bought some land a year or so ago that was heavily timbered. After the purchase, he contacted a lumber company and they select cut(thinned out) his new property. The money,from the timber, was used to pay off a big chunk of what he'd paid for the land and it improved the habitat. Roads were cut to remove the timber asnd he used some of these for his food plots. It's turning into a jewel of a hunting area now.

Proud Parent of a Marine

Last edited by Va Hunter; 04-16-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Bighorn

thats awesome.I'm trying to get a 1/4 of land for myself,I hope it happens one of these years.

timba
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Muley

Awesome deal on the land and yes being respectful for others is the best currency still good to know!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Muley

AF Hunter,
That speaks volumes as to the person you are! Good things happen to good people! Respect is something that just isn't out there enough these days.
I had a similar event last year.
I worked with a sweet woman that had a grape farm. She loved looking at my pictures of deer cams and hunting pic. Unfortunately they closed their land to any hunting about 25 years ago due to the actions of unethical "hunters".
My friend always told me that someday she would like me to come over and try and get a deer. Her husband passed away last year. She asked me to take care of her land and "bring some joy back to this farm."
Today I have possesion of a 300 acre farm. She has given me first rights on the sale of her farm.
You are right respect goes a long way!
Congrats to your good fortune!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Antelope

That is too cool AF! It's a shame the old boy had to sell his property. But, certainly a good thing you have the funds to buy it and have the ambition to take care of it and use it. Respect for others can go a long way. Too many times these days people are not respectfull of others and thier property. Glad all worked out for you!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to Cherokeechass

Congrats AF!! Good things come to good people!