Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Elk

Angry

Yeah, they will either go away from you or right at you. There is a distinct chance they will come at you but the chance is much greater that they will run away. I would be especially cautious about getting between a sow and her piglets - not to take anything away from the dangers involved in hog hunting. I know numerous people that have been ripped wide open by tusks, even a guy that needed several hundred stitches after having his belly ripped open. If they have to gumption to do so, they won't hesitate to charge - they just usually want to get away.

Another problem is they are tough. I shot that 300 pounder with a 180 grain nosler 300 wthby mag. I took out both lungs and shattered his shoulder. He still went 100 yards on me. Worse they're fat usually plugs up whatever hole you've made and they stop bleeding out. So, usually tracking them is reduced to looking for minute drops of blood. I shot one one time and found her 45 minutes later. There was NO blood trail at all. Her first trickle of blood was coming out of her side when I finally found her. I shot her with the .300 wthby too. They ARE TOUGH! My 1st bowkill resulted in a hog that I did not get to get a picture of. I tracked him for 3 hours on my hands and knees, never losing the minute blood trail. I had only gone 50 yards but couldn't go anymore. The briars were too thick. I'd have to have been on my belly in those briars. It was 10:30 PM in a heavily hog infested area and I only had my flashlight and my bow so I left it. Couple of days later the buzzards started on him. He was another 50 yards from where I gave up. Still can't get in there. Never got a pic of my 1st bow kill. THAT's hog hunting - can be great - can be frustrating - always challenging from A to Z. I actually like it better than deer hunting - call me crazy. I definately think that they are more intelligent than whitetail - try patterning them and you'll see what I mean.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Caribou

Yeah I can't wait to get a hog!, me and the little lady are putting in for javelina here in NM this year, I hope we get drawn!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Here's a #157 took shortly before I left for the mainland for couple weeks.

Partner took the #85 just off to the right in the pic.

Treestands or groundblinds we love it.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Couple of hogs from last yr.

I hunt with anything, gun bow rifle shotgun, heck I'd even use a slingshot if it was legal.

Hunted this guy for 2 months before I was finally able to slip an arrow in him just before dark.

Even if they are little, they are trophys in my book.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Caribou

good to see a friendly face.....nice pics....
Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Caribou

Hey every nice pic's!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Bighorn

awesome pics everyone

timba
Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Caribou

Great pics. I don't have hog photos yet but I'm going to Florida in a couple of weeks to visit relatives and I'm going to try to check out Oceola Outfitters while I'm down there if I have the time. I'm going to try to schedule a hunt there soon.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Elk

Careful, you might like it better than deer hunting!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Whitetail

Default hog pics

I had a few pictures I wanted to post, I hope you enjoy. They were 164 lbs, 320lbs, and 480lbs.