Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Musk Ox

Been out once a couple of weeks back in Feb. didn't see a thing but there was about 15" of snow too. Now that it's thawing out and melting here I might get to find'em.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Black Bear

On another site I frequent, there is a fellow named shedhead that usually comes up with around 100 or so sheds a year. The guy puts lots of miles on his shoe leather too. He has a bunch of tips on finding them. I'll post them up here.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Black Bear

Here's some tips for shed hunting that someone posted on another site.

To start off the number one thing is,you have to find the deer this time of year.Usually when you find a bunch of deer in their winter food source right now that is where they are gonna be for the next few months.

Some of my favorite food sources:

#1 Standing soybeans or a late cut bean field where alot of pods have shattered to the ground.

#2 Would be thick scrubby fields.The type you would think would be good for rabbit hunting.

In them fields are things like Locust trees with the bean pods (WHICH THEY LOVE this time of year).Also there will be these shrubs with little berries on them.We call it Buckbrush.Not for sure what it's really called.Also I'm colored blind so I think the berries are either blue or purple.

#3 Alfalfa and clover are really good spots.They seem to green up sooner than anything else in late winter.

#4 I have a couple honeyholes that are soybean stubble but they get this real fine green grass in it VERY early and I think that is the key to them places.The grass I'm talking about is definately not planted.It just shows up.

#5 Of coarse cannot leave out Winter Wheat.It is definately not my favorite cause by late season it's usually pretty tall and tough I assume.BUT if that's all they got they are gonna eat it.

#6 Standing corn or even corn stubble is probably one of the best BUT if you don't have a dog it's a pain in the rear.I used to hate corn fields but now I gots an antler dog I love them.

If corn is what they are using in your area and you have no dog I recommend walking every 2nd to 3rd row and just pay attention.They do stick out alittle better in corn with snow on the ground.

On a new spot I found last year cut corn was the main food source and the corn field was HUGE.A mile long and about a 1/4 mile wide.I spent about 6 days doin nothin but gridding that field out.The dog and I got 20 sheds out of it.And I gaurantee there were more in there to be found.

That field was in a riverbottom and had several low spots that flooded.In them low spots they did not plant and was real weedy and grassy and they were really using them places for bedding.

Most of my sheddin is done in the food source and the staging areas just before the food source.

From there I start branching out farther towards the bedding areas.

Early in the season when not many deer have shed I do nothing but the food source,edges,and staging areas.Just so I don't go stirring up all the deer.

You alway here about looking at fence crossings creek crossings.Places where they might jar an antler loose.Granted I always look there but I have not found many in them places.

One thing about jarring antlers loose that I do TOTALLY believe in is while it's raining.I don't know if you've ever watched a deer shake the water off them but boy they really shake that head.So we always get out right after a rain.

Now let's jump to when to look.Normally I start on Super Bowl Sunday.Always a lucky day for me.I'll start around Jan.1st but not real serious till Feb.1st.

Last year in my areas they did not shed till late in the new year.By mid-Feb, last season I only had a handfull of fresh sheds.When normally I'd have 50-60 sheds by mid-Feb..

Alot of people just go out and wonder the woods and cannot figure out why they don't find any sheds.

Well at that time of year I use the old saying "90% of the deer in 10% of the woods(area).That is the total gospel that time of the year.

This time of the year when you see 20-80 deer in a field eating that is where they are gonna be.Especially if you see bucks in the crowd.

The key to me finding so many sheds is that I branch out.I travel all over the state NW and Central mainly(Kansas also)(Iowa I wish).Alot of people have no luck cause they are only on their property where the deer may not even be that time of year.Or just passin through to the neighbors where the food source is.

The main #1 tip that everyone has heard is get out and start walking.Then walk some more then some more.But make sure you are walking where the deer are.

Another good one is if you've found sheds in a spot before you will more than likely find them there again.At least that goes for bedding,staging,and feeding areas.

Now all my sheddin is done in cropland and in places where deer densities are VERY high.So as far as where there is no crop I cannot really help you all.Unless there are foodplots or maybe some leftover acorns.

I have only found 2 sheds in the areas I actually deer hunt in.But this year they planted beans and left alot out there.So I'm hopin I can get into them this season unless they turn the cattle into them.Which they probably will.

Well that's all I can think of for now.I will add more later as I think of them.

Goodluck to you all...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Muley

had a lot of fun on sunday....took our 3 yr old daughter out and "she"found seven......one more with a drop tine....the look on her face was priceless when she would find one.....so cooll.....now all she wants to do is shed hunt with mommy and daddy......got love a future shed huntress......
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglelakes View Post
had a lot of fun on sunday....took our 3 yr old daughter out and "she"found seven......one more with a drop tine....the look on her face was priceless when she would find one.....so cooll.....now all she wants to do is shed hunt with mommy and daddy......got love a future shed huntress......
thats awesome.You should post some pics.

I took my 4 year girl and 3 year old boy on sunday evening to look for some,there was to much snow for the kids to walk so I used the quad.We never found anything but the even as it was getting dark and col the kids didn't want to go home.

great info Movenatic

Last edited by timba; 03-08-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Muley

ill try to post some pics tonight......i actually took four with me and put them out just in case we didnt find any....wanted to keep her interest level up......so with the ones we found and the ones i put out she had a blast....just before school today she asked if we could go after school....hope its not raining cause i would love to get her out again......
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Caribou

The outfitter I hunt with in Missouri called me to tell me about a 80" 7 point side he found tonight.....he told me to hunt that area, but I didn't listen Always listen to your outfitters!!!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Antelope

I haven't found any sheds yet, but some of our bucks in Ohio still have their racks. I've been doing some volenteer work for some of the local parks, deer surveys .

Last edited by Deb; 03-23-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Caribou

I was out yesterday hoping to find the sheds of some of the big boys that eluded me this last fall. I didn't find any of the big one's yet, but I did find a complete set from a 115" 5x5, so that was cool.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Bighorn

I found a small 5 point whitetail shed and a small moose shed the other day.I'm still seeing bucks with there horns.