Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Whitetail

Thanks for the comments......in the next 2 months I will be reading up all I can on judging bear size. Thats my biggest worry. I made a promise to myself that I will only shoot a larger bear and if I come home empty because I held out, so be it. It won't ruin the experience. I'll be certain to post the experience and hopefully a picture or 2.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2206 View Post
Thanks for the comments......in the next 2 months I will be reading up all I can on judging bear size. Thats my biggest worry. I made a promise to myself that I will only shoot a larger bear and if I come home empty because I held out, so be it. It won't ruin the experience. I'll be certain to post the experience and hopefully a picture or 2.
I would buy the videos the Ralph and Vickie have on here. They do a great job helping you size a black bear and it is not easy. The first one will look like a monster to you LOL. After watching some of their videos where they ask you to size the bear then tell you later how it sized up you'll get the hang of it.

I read some where sometime back that the average black bear taken was less than 200 lbs. And that very few bears taken are over 400 lbs. Eyeball judging for a P&Y measurement for squaring a bear and noggin head size can be done imho if you watch those videos of V&R's.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Whitetail

I don't really care about head size that much. I like to see and shoot big bodied bears.

I know it has been said that the first bear you see will look huge but I disagree. My first year ever baiting the first bear that came to the bait was small. I knew it before he hit the drum but once he stood by the drum there was no question that he was small.

Don't be to concerned in learning how to judge head size on your first bear hunt. If it is a baited hunt just check to see if the bear is bigger than the barrel and if he is let an arrow fly.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Muley

Just about ready to go. We are all getting our gear packed. Hopefully we will have good weather and see lots of bears.

www.bigwoodstaxidermy.com
www.bigbearscents.com/
www.bigwoodsbearbait.com
Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Musk Ox

Good Luck!!! I'm heading to Peace River on the 29th...very excited to be on my way back to Alberta!!!!!!

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Just about ready to go. We are all getting our gear packed. Hopefully we will have good weather and see lots of bears.
weather forecast is looking good for the north,finally some nice weather

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cask0039
Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Musk Ox

Wish you all good hunting!

Maybe next year for me - just to much going on to be bear hunting this spring. I still have a chance at this fall for ONTARIO!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Caribou

Yeah, I'm stoked too!!!! I'm headed to Alberta for the first time ever in about 10 days!!! Going up to the Zama City area....can't wait! Yogi's gonna get an arrow up his butt!!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Muley

Good Luck ACCPOSSUMTIM! Im in the province next door (BC). I've been out a bit this year and been seeing some dam good bears. Got a line on what I figure to be 6' black bear that looks like he has no legs and a AWESOME GOD I WANT IT I WANT IT RED BEAR THATS OVER 7' his nickname for him BIG RED for all the obvious reasons. (Big Body, Tall/Long, HUGE DOME with ears that barely stick out). Plus I've seen a good sized cinnamon that's also in the wow class. Goin out today. Hopefully I can put Red down and toss some picks up here for everyone to see.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Muley

good luck muledeerjohn let us know how you make out