Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
bwhntrOre bwhntrOre is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I live in beautiful Southern Oregon.
Posts: 2
Default Exploring with traditional!

I'm primarily a technology junkie but am looking to explore the traditional spectrum of hunting. Any tips or tricks in picking a nice but affordable recurve bow? I have a Ross archery bow and love it but also want to play with the traditional side a little bit. I am thinking possibly Martin or Bear but am not set on any certain type of recurve yet. Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Greywolf Greywolf is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hawaii,island of Oahu
Posts: 150
Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

I make a few recurves and longbows per year.(ok allot)
The biggest thing(s)
#1 Picking a bow that's too heavy for you is the biggest problem people have.
People think, I draw a #70 compound, so I can handle a #55-#60 recurve or longbow. In reality, nothing is farther from the truth.
Compounds hit #70 for a 2-3 inches of draw, then the draw weight drops of drastically to a holding weight of #18-#23. With a recurve or longbow it won't reach the given weight till you reach 28 inches of draw.
AND there is NO let off, if it's #55 your holding 55 Lbs

First suggestion....
Start with a light bow, I'm talking #38-#40! Forget the Macho ego stuff, Start with a light poundage bow and get your form established.
Form is 90% of Traditional shooting the other 10 % is mental. Once you get your shooting form established then move up in weight.( you will always be working on your form!) There's always someone looking for a lighter weight bow TRUST ME!!

Next thing is the grip of the bow, The bow should fit you, not you fit the grip. it should have a natural feel and the be a extension for your arm.
Try this, lay you arm on a flat surface palm up, see how the hand is slightly bent and not in line with the arm? The grip should do the exact same thing. A bow with a med grip fits better than the usual high grip you see on recurves.

This is the one place (besides Pope and Young)where size matters. Get one with a comfortable grip... Period. If you have to readjust and wiggle your hand on the grip to get a comfortable grip, it's not right for your hand.

Handle plenty of bows, draw them and hold full draw for 5 seconds. if you don't shake and bow feels good, then it might be a contender for a hunting bow.

Hope this helps, There's plenty more, but this will help you pick out a bow that will possibly shoot well for you.

Then work on shooting in this order.... form, form, form

Good habit are easy to start, Bad habits are hard to break!

Then go out and have fun and 'Fill the sky full of holes"

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-02-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 AM
bwhntrOre bwhntrOre is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I live in beautiful Southern Oregon.
Posts: 2

Thanks so much Greywolf, this is very helpful information.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 AM
TBow TBow is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeastern Ontario
Posts: 56

As GW said, don't over bow your self. For an adult man, I would suggest starting with a bow than can at least be used for hunting if you so choose. Most provinces and states require a minimum of 40 lbs at 28", so I'd recommend that as a starting point. And a 40 to 45 lb bow should be no problem for an adult to draw and shoot.

For your first bow, don't run out and pay muchos denairos, as in all probability, once you've determined that trad is the route you'd like to pursue more, then you will be in the market for a new bow in short order no doubt. You'll likely want to move on up slightly in poundage once you're ready to graduate from the low poundage starter bow.

Get some instructions on form from an experienced recurve shooter. Shooting trad isn't the same as shooting a compound. You will tend to pick up bad habits much more frequently and more severe with a recurve/longbow as opposed to a compound.

Don't use your old compound arrows. Get arrows matched to your recurve, and I'd suggest feathers, not vanes. Don't over extend your yardages. Keep your practice shots to 20 yards and under. Trying to shoot longer ranges at first will only manage to discourage you.

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump