Old 11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Elk

Default I learned something this morning...

If you've been just sitting still and quiet in the stand or ground blind for a while and you think you need to start blowing on your grunt call, look all around you BEFORE you start blowing grunts!

I was in my ground blind this morning, and I decided to blow some grunts. I forgot to look around good before blowing, and after just a few, a good-sized doe ran from my right across the opening in the woods, bounding all the way. I couldn't even get my shotgun into my hands before she was GONE!

If I can wake up early enough, I'm going to try to get back out there tomorrow morning. I just can't stay as long as I did today because of church on Sunday.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Moose

Hot dog! You're seeing deer!

If it makes you feel any better. I was in the stand yesterday evening and had deer come in AFTER legal hunting hours and hang around under my stand for an hour and a half. At first I was irritated, because I wanted to get down and get home. Then, I decided to just sit and observe their behavior. Monie the biologist! lol

A doe and yearling came in, first. She noticed the tree I was is wasn't right. She head bobbed and stomped. The yearling head bobbed and stomped. The doe walked a little farther to my right, the yearling followed. The doe stuck her nose in the air and curled her lip up, then walked forward a bit. The yearling stopped where the doe was stuck it's nose in the air and curled it's lip up. It was cool to watch that yearling do everything it's momma did. When the other deer started coming in, the doe stood statue still. I mean she didn't move a muscle. Shoot, even I had to move my cramping foot! Finally, the doe started walking off, but the yearling stayed put. The doe walked around then came back part way, kinda like it was telling the yearling it was ok to come on.

Each deer, as it came in, stood statue still when it heard another deer; never bolting like I thought they would. It was a very interesting, and educational evening.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com

Last edited by Monie; 11-08-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Elk

Every trip out should be a learning experience im my opinion. What a great encounter. We don't give does as much credit as they deserve. They are the teachers. And some of those good old teachers need taken out!!!! They are TOO good of teachers!!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybowhntr View Post
Every trip out should be a learning experience im my opinion. What a great encounter. We don't give does as much credit as they deserve. They are the teachers. And some of those good old teachers need taken out!!!! They are TOO good of teachers!!!!!
you got THAT right!