Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Caribou

Default Muzzleloader Question

I'm muzzleloader hunting for the first time this year, finnaly drew tag after four years. Just wondering what everyone uses for powder and bullets, i'll be shooting a .45 cal. Thanks for imput.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Moose

For powder, I like to use the Pyrodex pellets. They come in 50gr. and 30 gr. pellets. They make loading so much easier. I also like the Powerbelt bullets. Now, make sure that you get the 45/50 pellets if you're going to use them. .45 caliber/50 grs powder. They also have a 50/50 on the market. Make sure you don't get these. .50 caliber/50 grs powder. As far as bullet weight, that's up to you, just bear in mind that though a heavier bullet will have more KE it will also drop faster and may not reach as far as you want it to go. The lighter bullets will go farther, but may not have the umph to get the job done once they get there. So, go out and shoot 2 or 3 different grains, in powder and bullets and see how it works for you. A good starting point would be 100 grains of powder and the 225 gr bullet. The next step up is 275 gr. and the step below is 195. Again, mind that you get the bullets for your .45 caliber, as there are more .50 cal products on the market, it can be confusing.

OK...I'm done...I'm out of air!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com

Last edited by Monie; 11-24-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Black Bear

I shoot 777 pellets out of my T/C, way easier to clean up then pyrodex was.
Going to have to spend sometime shooting the gun with different loads to fing on that works for you. I shoot an 240 gr. hornery XTP with 100 grains of 777 pellets works well out to 130 yards. I use this on deer with good results. Going to try the new T/C 200 gr. slugs next year.

Matt
Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Black Bear

Im also just starting out I have a Thompson Center Omega, and im shooting Triple Seven 50 grain pellets, Thompson Center Sabots 250 grain, and all Thompson center cleaning supplies.

http://www.camospace.com/Nebel

Hoyt Powerhawk 56#
NAP Quiktune Drop away
TRUGLO Micro Brite 5 pin
Easton Camo Axis and ST Axis
NAP Hellrazors

Ameristep Youth Pro Staffer
Spittlers Game Calls Pro Staffer

Member of the NWTF

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Musk Ox

Ya'll wanna try something different, then keep an eye open at your local WallyWorld or what ever big box store ya have around. Right after hunting season, they'll put a bunch of this kinda stuff on clearance and mark it way down. that's when I stock up on bullets for the next year! Some I've bought for less than half price. Same thing goes for bore butter or BlackPowder bore cleaner.

Ya'll need to give those powerbelts a try. These things shoot great from mine, my youngun's, and my brother's Rifles. My rifle has a preference for loose Pyrodex. 100grs.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Black Bear

I Agree On The Powerbet Bullets.i Use Them With 777 Loose Powder 100gr.in My Traditions Pursuit Lt.hey Burr What Type Of Smokepole Are You Useing Inline,flintlock?
HELLRAZORS
Old 11-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Caribou

Its an inline, My buddies gun. He ussually shots powerbelts with pioneer powder, just currious what everyone else was using. Heading to Cabelas this weekend to get the goods and start shooting, season opens Dec 13.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Moose

I'd forgotten about Pioneer Powder, probably because they don't carry it around here. "I trust [it] with my life, and you can too." - Jim Shockey
Now, that says it all!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 11-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Black Bear

The powder I use is 777 I used pyrodex for years until I tried 777 It gives great groups in my 50 cal. TC encore. It's verry easy to clean and dosen't foul the barrel as bad makeing it easy to load even after several shots. As for the bullets the powerbelts shoot great but I had a real problem with them not expanding. They would poke a hole about 50 cal. size all the way through. I found the deer but all went farther than they should have and didn't bleed verry good. After the fourth deer shot and the same results on all of them I started checking around and herd great things about the TC shockwave's. After trying them I was pleased with the grouping (just as good as powerbelts) but, they were verry hard to load. Then I tried the TC shockwave's with super glide sabots they load easy and shoot great but, what sold me was the performance on impact. They work

Last edited by oneshot; 11-25-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Musk Ox

I'm with Monie on the Pellets, that's the only thing I've used in my Inline. I use one 50grain and one 30grain. Packs a punch, but not enough to knock me down. Lol
For bullets I use the Pre-Lubed ones that TC makes.
Toss all this in some Quick Loads and you're ready to roll, er, shoot I guess.

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------