Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Caribou

Default Public land woes

I went to hunt a stand last night on a small chunk of public land, about 60 acres. Its the only stand I have for an east wind, and its a good place to hunt, I shoot my biggest buck there. I sat there the night before and saw lots of does and fawns even with the farmer harvesting the beans right beside me. So I go back last night and on the way out there is a pickup parked on the east side, with and east wind. I thought oh well thats why I hunt the west side and let them push the deer towards me, so I started out for my stand and when I get there there is someone sitting in my stand. He got out as soon as I got there and said he and his brother inlaw just came here cause some guy told him there was lots of stands and to just go sit in them. After he left his buddy proceeded to walk around in the bedding area and scaring everything out of the area. I have no idea what they were thinking, some people just don't have a clue. I'm thinking about taking my tree steps out and carrying them with me. I don't mind other hunters in there, theres always been alot, but I just can't understand why someone would do that. If you can't put the time in to hand a stand or set up a blind maybe you at least respect the other people that have taken the time to do it. I was going to talk to them after the hunt but they were gone by the time I got out of the stand. Sorry about the rant, I just don't understand some people.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Caribou

If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were in PA!
NAP Spitfires
Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Caribou

I hate to say it but I bet the walking through the bedding area on the way out was to screw with you. I've had it happen on my family's land (only 120 acres) that we've owned for over 50 years. I've walked up to a stand to kick someone out of it and they proceed to tell me the owner gave them permission...I ask them who is that, and they of course give me some random name. I then inform them that that person doesn't own this land and please leave. I've had guys tell me I'm wrong about the owner or ask "well did you just buy this land, because I've hunted it for years" It just amazes me the nerve of some people!!!

As far as unscrewing your steps, I'd be a little careful. If you run them in and out of the same hole for a while they might not hold as tight and be unsafe. My first choice for public land is always a climber. If the trees aren't suitable for a climber take a look at the Rapid Rails by Ameristep. They are awesome, 3 steps - 1 strap -- way faster and less work than screwing in steps! I usually use 4 sections to get to hunting height depending on the tree and you could always pull the bottom 2 sections to keep them out of your tree. The steel Rapid rails are the cheapest way to go but if you're carrying them a long way the aluminum may be the way to go!!

good luck!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Musk Ox

Leaving a stand on public property is chancy. You risk someone being in it or someone walking out with it. I'd get a some of those removable ladder deals like Tim talked about.
As for the 2 guys, they need to grow the heck up! Unfortunately, that seems to be the way folks are anymore. If they can't have what they want, then you shouldn't have it either...

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarr

We have found a spot just over the fence from our land on National Forest (yes, we are bordered on 2 sides by forest) where the deer were traveling and where they were scraping last year. So we put out corn and pears from the tree in the back yard on our land just to encourage the deer to keep using the trail and set up a camera to see what was there. Will set up a stand at the trail on public land to catch the deer going in. Lo and behold, he went to hunt his stand Thursday and somebody had put a climbing stand on the other side of the trail RIGHT ACROSS from Will's stand. Yes they are on public land. No we cannot do anything about it. But they are driving in a road down from our house and walking in. I say walking in, I think they are illegally driving a 4 wheeler b/c I can hear all kinds of noise when I am in my blind ON OUR LAND and noise from that road has never been that loud. Sigh. What can you do?

Sunday afternoon Will and Robert were hunting down from Rob's house on National Forest. Now, Saturday a group had their annual endurance trail ride (as in there is a long horse trail that winds through the National Forest from down below my house all the way to Kennard and people push themselves and their horses in a timed competition plus there are those who just get out to ride and have fun). They were finished Saturday night and had the usual huge BBQ blowout. Apparently there were some who were not ready to leave so they went riding Sunday afternoon. Through the woods. Miles from the trail. Drunk. Hooping and hollering and laughing and, well, you get the point. Right by Will's and Rob's stands. They even looked up and said "What are y'all doing up there?"

Okay, the second story makes me laugh b/c it did not affect my hunting (go to church on Sunday not hunting) and I can imagine the scene. It made Will and Rob mad though. Even though it is public land and they have every right to be there, there was no respect for other people.
-- Lucille Ball
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Musk Ox

Starr,
While ya can't stop folks from coming on National Forest, ya can report the use for 4 wheelers. "The man" will be waiting on them when they come back to their vehicle. "HE" CAN make things interesting for the law breakers.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Antelope

Tha kind of stuff hapeens a lot here. I used those ladder sticks for Betty's stand and she takes the bottom two sections out with her. The stand is chained to the tree along with the top section of ladder. If someone wants it they are gonna have to work at it. I use a climber. Betty's uncle had a stand chained in a cedar tree on public land and someone actually cut the top of the tree off to take his stand. Some people's kids!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Musk Ox

Like said above.

Here in PA your lucky if someone doesn't take your stand off of Private land..

No way I would leave a stand on Public land!!!

Cameras either...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights