Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Antelope

I ordered a 7mm-08 pistol barrel for my new endeavor today. I will be hunting with it next year.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Musk Ox

A 44 mag, 45LC(If ya reload), 45/70(wrist buster!) 460, 500, 454... Any of these will take any deer out to 100 yds or so. On the 45LC, stay away from any of the Colt clones for the heavier loads. A Ruger Blackhawk or something from Freedom Arms would do ya fine.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Caribou

Yeah, those are all good rounds, but I'm trying to find a bottleneck case that fits their description. I probably wouldn't hunt with it, just trying to see what's available.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Musk Ox

Tim
A 22 Hornet's case length is only 1.394! Heck, a 6mmPPC has a minimun length of 1.5 inches. Though it wasn't listed in the chart I just looked at, I wonder what a 300 Whisper or 30 Herret works out to. I believe they're both based off of a 357 case necked down to 30 cal.

I'd stick with the old tried and true 44mag. You don't have to reload because of availability and just about everybody makes something chambered for it. Revolver(single or double action) and single shots.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Caribou

VA -- I agree, 44 is a great round. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the author of the regs was trying to do? It seems they were just trying to exclude pretty much all bottleneck cases, it just has gotten under my skin...I know it's stupid but I'd like to find a case that fits the description. I don't know if it even exists. Personally I think I may go with a 500 S&W, I know it's way overkill for deer but I've got a thing for fifties!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM View Post
yup Bottle neck cases have to be larger than .30 caliber and a case length of 1.4" or shorter. Any straight wall cartridge of .30 caliber or larger available as a factory load with a published muzzle energy of 500 ft. lbs. There is no length limit on straight walled cases. Centerfire revolvers or single shots only, no semi's, minimum barrel length of 4". Muzzle loaders have to have a barrel length of 16" so no muzzle loading revolvers either. I haven't searched that much, but I can't think of any bottle neck cases that are that short except maybe the .357 sig and I don't think that's available in anything but an auto loader.
ACTim
WOW!!!! That would take some doing to find a bottleneck case shorter than 1.4 inches long. Unless you can go to some kind of wildcat. The only cartridges (besides the sig) I can think of would be the 44-40 or the 32-20...........old, old, pistol rounds. Both of those rounds barely have a shoulder at all, and some might even say they are straight wall cases.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Caribou

That's what I'm thinking too, but wildcats are out because the round must be "available as a factory load". I know it's a dumb obsession but it's a dumb rule too!!! I can see them wanting to limit cartridge power due to our proximity (spelling?) to houses but 30-30's or 7.62 x 39's aren't exactly power houses yet something like the .45-70 or 500 smith are perfectly ok.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Musk Ox

Some counties in Va, only allow the use of rifles when sitting in an elevated stand. The theory is the hunter will be shooting downwards, thus keeping the bullet from traveling too far.
The "straight case rule" is probably intended to keep the power factor down. Some of the newer "hand rifles" are getting the velocties of a rifle. Don't raise too much heck over it though. They're liable to go back and recalculate, which would knock out a good many prospective rounds.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 AM
Whitetail

I use a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Rem Mag. with an 8.5 inch barrel, and 2X scope. I love it!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Whitetail

I'm hunting with an EMF Hartford in .45 LC and Hornady LeveRevolution bullets.