Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
timba, sounds like I might have to come up and check your set up out. having never seen bears get into oats before, should be intersting. and of course, since I'm there, maybe I'll just happen to have my bow with me.
I think it would be fun getting together with some of the members and hunting bears
Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM View Post
we use them the same way in Saskatchewan, oats and restaurant grease. They love 'em! We just use 55 gal. steel barrels with a couple 6" holes cut in them, it lets the bear get a paw full at a time but keeps them near the bait for a while. As said above make sure you chain them to a tree or they'll be gone
About how high were the holes?

This baiting bear is lots of learning last spring all I had was 55 gal plastic barrels that didn't have a lid and I went and cut a 2 foot x 2 foot square hole in it.We would load the barrel up meat and 2 days latter before we would get back they were empty.All we were doing was feeding the bears

This year I got steel barrels with lids,so I'm going to have a barrel of meat scraps(6" hole) and a barrel of oats(I'm going to mix cooking grease in with) and run a line with 3 beavers at 8 feet for my bait site this year.Also so far I have six 5 gallon pales of cooking grease.The wife has also been keeping the grease from when we eat bacon over the last year,I'll use that for a burn when I'm in the stand.

And a new bow

Last edited by timba; 01-27-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
I think it would be fun getting together with some of the members and hunting bears
Were on our way!!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Antelope

it seems like its harder and harder to get some barrels with lids...not sure if its because of deposits on them

where are you guys finding em?

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky_xl View Post
it seems like its harder and harder to get some barrels with lids...not sure if its because of deposits on them

where are you guys finding em?
I found 3 of them around the battery.But your right they are hard to come by.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

i did use oats! we put in 55 gal. drum .put water in and 25lbs of sugar mixed up and let sit for a week. when we go bait we just put into 5 gal pails, we had great results form this .,and i will keep using oats!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Caribou

go to any quick lube place. they usually have them. they might charge a few bucks for them, but its worth it. and if they don't have them, then ask if they can keep a couple for you. lot of work to clean them, but like I said, worth it.

Timba, going on a group hunt with another site. they are a blast. hog hunting in georgia. along with some moonshine at night. plus the costs are a lot less if you do it on a regular basis. another group from this other site does an elk hunt in idaho every year. total cost to go is around $750 incuding the licenses. maybe we can keep in touch and figure out how to make something like this happen. get the tents and such. let me know.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
go to any quick lube place. they usually have them. they might charge a few bucks for them, but its worth it. and if they don't have them, then ask if they can keep a couple for you. lot of work to clean them, but like I said, worth it.

Timba, going on a group hunt with another site. they are a blast. hog hunting in georgia. along with some moonshine at night. plus the costs are a lot less if you do it on a regular basis. another group from this other site does an elk hunt in idaho every year. total cost to go is around $750 incuding the licenses. maybe we can keep in touch and figure out how to make something like this happen. get the tents and such. let me know.
Thats not a bad price at all,I spent that on a elk trip with 2 other guys up here and we never saw a thing.I like hunting with a group of other hunters,I love it at night sitting around having a few drinks and talking about hunting.keep me in mind if some thing ever comes up,I would have to clear it with the wife first
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Caribou

timba, they have this hunt every year. usually end of september, beginning of october. main thing you have to do is get your license the first of december. this year, they were sold out by the 17th of december. they have it in idaho, and they have everything there and set up when you show up.

not sure I can help with the wife part as mine usually asks if I can leave sooner than planned. never have figured out what she means by that? but now, she is going on my trips with me. makes it more fun and I get better pictures that way.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Antelope

Timba with the barrel this is what i do i use 10' 3/16 chain bolt to barrel and then drill 6 holes 3/4". Chain to the tree make sure it's on high ground if it gets wet the oats go moldy and the bears would prefer fresh i don't use much oil on my oats for the same reason instead i lag a 25 gallon steel barrel to a tree and fill with straight oil and small meat scraps that will get to the bottom and they have to reach into the oil to get them when they leave they also leave a scent trail for another bear to follow in. I use oats or sunflower screenings the bears just love them i would prefer to use just sunflower screenings because they are light we are in a no off road vehicle area so i have to carry everything in. Good luck