Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Caribou

Default Another one for Ma

I burned yesterday so I couldn't roost my bird...
I got there, I was #5 Drove down to my parking area,I see another truck coming my way, my heart dropped, then he pulled in, we talked and he said he would go elsewhere, I was alone woohoooooo, let the hunt begin...
I hunted the powerline until 7:30...if they weren't there by then , they weren't coming...I heard no gobbling , at least nothing I was 100%sure of.I snuck into my honeyhole, while on the way in , I heard a squirrel barking",Thinking that he was barking at my gobbler, I said"come to mommy bigboy", just kidding around.I knew I had to be where I call the mouth, it's a small funnel, so
I got set up and I did 2 series of soft yelps and then a minute later I did 2 more but a lil louder this time...I saw green and black walking...Oh no, there he was but he was sticking to the outside edge of where I needed him to be, so I did a couple of purrs...I tried 2 times to get a shot while he was skirting me, but couldn't egt a good/clean shot, then he disapeared, then I saw him,he was heading right to me, so I had to scoot over to get a shot, He got within 30 yards and I took it....he dropped, I run over there, stepped on his neck, though there was no need, but I was making sure after he got by me twice previous, lol.....
I had my safety off twice prior to today, I just asked God not to let there be a third time without a shot.Thank God he finally gave me that bird.....He's the same bird I almost shot on accident when I shot my first bird , then to have my sights on him again and not shoot because i wouldn't take a crappy shot, I'm sure glad to have sealed the deal today.
His stats are 14.2 lbs.
1 1/16 and 1 1/8 in spurs
9 1/4 inch beard
I was pretty sure that he was the less dominant bird when I got my first one but I still had that , what if thing going on,bugging me lol.....but he had a 1/2'' shorter beard than the other one...both were 2 year birds.
I'm leaving fo Virginia in the a.m., 4:00.Hunting up there was a few days.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Caribou

Awesome job once again Ma!
NAP Spitfires
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Caribou

Little bird but BIG HOOKS!!! Nice! Congrats!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Bighorn

WOW!

Cool bird Casey!

You keep this up... you'll take over Lisa's spot as Turkey Terminator.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Antelope

Sounds like you're having a great season... Nice Bird!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Caribou

Good job!

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Caribou

Thanks y'all.....don't want to take over anyone's title, I just want to turkey hunt
Viriginia was fun but no bird, them mountains will kill ya.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Musk Ox

Ma,
That thars what ya call a LIMB HANGER! Congrats!!!

Where about was ya up here in the Old Dominion? Some of these hills could get pretty interesting to ya'll that ain't used to 'em, Heck, I've lived here all my life and don't feel up to tackling some of them. Sorry the birds weren't cooperating for ya. Where I've been hunting, the birds are gobbling their fool heads off until they get their feet on the ground. Then they develope bad cases of lock jaw! If ya listen real close ya can hear the hens coming from all directions. No need for the gobblers to go searching. Hopefully this'll end in the next week or so.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
Ma,
That thars what ya call a LIMB HANGER! Congrats!!!

Where about was ya up here in the Old Dominion? Some of these hills could get pretty interesting to ya'll that ain't used to 'em, Heck, I've lived here all my life and don't feel up to tackling some of them. Sorry the birds weren't cooperating for ya. Where I've been hunting, the birds are gobbling their fool heads off until they get their feet on the ground. Then they develope bad cases of lock jaw! If ya listen real close ya can hear the hens coming from all directions. No need for the gobblers to go searching. Hopefully this'll end in the next week or so.

I was in Edinburg,Woodstock,Mount Jackson area......we stayed in town but the cabin is a mile up the mountain, then there's about another mile to the top.From down below it looks like it's one steep hill, once you get up in em, it's full of ridges , so it was up and down up and down....the up about killed me, the down was great, lol...from what I understand I had a gobbler coming in but the land owners neighbor decided he wanted to kill a turkey and he heard him gobbling(I couldn't hear him) and spooked him in the opposite direction, if he hadn't spooked him, he would of headed my way, but thats ok, I had a blast anyway, it's so beautiful there, other than the nasty COLD rain, lol....I got my learning lesson, I brought my dive booties, they're my hunting shoes down here, needless to say I had to go buy a pair of boots, lol.....next year, it's going to be winter wear added to that collection, I froze half to death, lol.

Finally got my blog written and put most of the pics on my photbucket, if you're interested here are the links
photobucket
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rip/?start=all
my camospace blog
http://www.camospace.com/blog/view/i...virginia-trip/

Last edited by HuntnMa; 04-26-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Musk Ox

Belated Congrads! Super nice Bird, Story and Pic!! I'm surprised he weighed so little, but had such a nice beard and spurs.

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------