Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Antelope

WOW!! You were close, there. For a minute, I thought you were going to crush the only feeling that I brought with me today!!!LOL. Yes, I am absolutely, 100% Canadian. Eh?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Whitetail

Sept can't come soon enough for me...Moose is what I primarly hunt where I live.We are lucky in our WMU we are guaranteed a cow tag for archery season & we have been very successful for bulls too.My oldest is now 15 & she can enter the draw too...she is so excited in being able to get her own tags..she one of these kids who won't shoot females or calves.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Antelope

LadyArcher: My oldest daughter is my steady hunting buddy. She was a little shocked when she became an adult, and saw just how much her licenses cost, though, as we have a much reduced price schedule for our youth hunters here in Alberta. Depending on how your moose numbers are doing in your area, taking a few cows/calves is not a bad thing. The train of thought is to try to keep a balanced bull:cow ratio, so as to get as good a recruitment of new calves as possible. They won't all be harvested during the hunting season, so taking a few is good wildlife management. If you have a really bad winter, the calves will die first, anyway. When MNR does their annual count/flyover, the number of tags issued will be in direct proportion to the numbers they come up with. This is basically how it works in Alberta, and our moose are thriving in this part of the province. Anyway, have lots of fun hunting with your kids; I do!

Gord
Old 03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Muley

It's just my personal opinion, but I feel that a self-hunt provides significantly greater rewards than a guided hunt. I know a guided hunt in all probability will give you a greater chance at success and in all likelyhood provide you with a higher scoring trophy, but there is just an imense sense of gratification knowing you've done it all yourself. I know there's a lot more work in a self-guided and self-outfitted hunt, and in really remote areas it's impractical, but my preference would be to do it myself. And if buddies are along to share, all the better.

BTW LadyArcher, I hunt just west of you in WMU29. I've been bowhunting there for moose since 1980 and absolutely love it. Wouldn't miss it for the anything. I've been taking my son with me since he was 15 (he's now 25) and it's one hunt each year he wouldn't miss for the world, even if we aren't lucky enough to draw a tag. I've found that the past few years, there's been a lot of extra archery cow tags after the first draw, so we've got a couple cow tags on our second choice. Unfortunately, the chance of an arrowed cow are pretty slim, so all the cow tag ends up doing is taking one of our group out of Pool#1 the next year.

I figure it's harder to draw the bull tag in the lottery in my WMU, than it is to actually call in and shoot a bull with a bow during the peak of the call. For those who have not experienced it, there is absolutely nothing like having a bull moose coming towards you and grunting in response to your calls.........WELL DANG! Now I'm all worked up and wishing it was September too!!!!!!!!!!!!

TBow
Old 03-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Antelope

Yeah, I'm really lucky to have a couple of really good buddies in BC to go hunting with. Bull moose and Mountain caribou this September - can't wait! We'll be just south of the Yukon border in extremely remote country, on a lake that no one has been flown into in the last two years. This is a self-guided hunt, BTW, no guides working for anybody, just good friends hunting together.
We can generally draw a cow moose tag here in Alberta about every two - three years, and there is no restriction with regard to archery or rifle - the tag is good for either season. If you don't connect with archery gear, you can carry on during the rifle season. This way, the harvest stays more in line with what F&W wants to achieve with regard to herd numbers. Cow tags rarely go un-filled here; in five days of hunting moose this last November, we saw more moose than deer in the WMU that we hunted. The opportunities for deer are almost endless; no problem filling the freezer.

Gord
Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Antelope

Default Bushplane is booked!!!!

Well, I sent the deposit today for the flight into my September moose camp. One step closer to my dream hunt, and a hunt that I will be sharing with two great hunting buddies. I've been shooting my Mathews Rezen pretty regular, and it's driving tacks. The PT program starts next week - gotta get in shape for packing out moosemeat.

Gord
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liege View Post
Well, I sent the deposit today for the flight into my September moose camp. One step closer to my dream hunt, and a hunt that I will be sharing with two great hunting buddies. I've been shooting my Mathews Rezen pretty regular, and it's driving tacks. The PT program starts next week - gotta get in shape for packing out moosemeat.

Gord
There isn't a cute little picture for jealousy!!!!

promise lots of pics so us regular folk can live through you!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Antelope

YorkArcher, I'm sorry, bud. I'm not trying to make anyone jealous (well, maybe just a wee bit.....). You can bet that I'll be taking lots of pictures. One of my buddies has access to a pro-grade camera, and we're going to attempt to film the whole hunt, which will include three moose (we hope), and three mountain caribou. We'd like to make some kind of a DVD of the whole adventure. I'm the only one going totally archery only, so we'll see how it goes. I'm also going to warm up for this trip on bears next month; with a little luck, I'll have pictures to post sometime in May.

Gord
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Antelope

OK. If y'all saw my post in Bear'n Down, you know that the warm up for my Sep moose hunt went well. Just talked with my hunting partner, and no one has been flown into this lake since the last time they were there, three years ago. I bought a folding boat, so we can go ANYWHERE we want on that lake. He's told me I can't shoot anything under 50". I'm a little (?) excited. On top of that, they see tons of bears on the drive up - he said to buy a bear tag. I don't know if I can contain myself until Sep gets here. I'll keep everyone posted.

Gord
Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Muley

The deadline for my group application for a tag is next monday (June 1st). We've got five Pool #1 tags, but our chances of drawing a bull tag are still slim at best. I don't think we'll apply for a cow tag on our sencond choice as we want to keep everyone in Pool #1 for next year's draw if we don't pull a bull tag for this year. I'm retiring at the end of this summer, so I figure I'm gon'na have a ton of time to go hunting this fall.

TBow