Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Whitetail

Default I need a starting point...

Found a set of nice sheds last year during T season and wanted to try and shoot this buck this year. As you can probably tell I am new to the 'scout, pattern and kill one buck'. I am not however without skills and woodsmanship. I am mostly a spot and stalk kind of guy.. So my question is where do I start and then follow up. The sheds were found on the edge of the thick river bottoms and an orchard (walnut)road. Also it is public land and I'm not sure how long a trail cam would last out there.
Anything would be a start. Thanks R, V and Posse!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Musk Ox

Without trail cameras your lookin at alot of time in the field....

Need to find his core bedding area....
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Muley

The very best thing you can do is try and locate his bedding area and understand that you are hunting public land, us that to your advantage...He has an escape route that he uses when other hunters come into his territory you need to find that and set up there. Allow the other hunters to do your job by bumping him as they go to there stand and as he gets up and takes his safe passage way out you are there waiting to stop him. Many times I would hunt near the parking lots of teh public grounds I used to hunt, why???? Simple when more of the hunters went to there stands, go impatient they would start to make noise, move around and go check out new areas and the deer knew where it was safe...I actully shot one of my first really good bucks less than 30 yards from parked trucks & cars in teh parking lot of a state park here in IL...The mature deer would sneak out to the open grass and bed down until the pheasent hunters came by...Just ask teh field guys how many times they kick up the big bucks in public land while bird hunting, you will see how true this is. Find his escape route and you will find him.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Black Bear

listen to ralph and wait to be the last one in the woods if you can. the deer get kicked up and run for safety alot and move back in when everyone has left. they are smarter than we think
Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Muley

I am actually convinced that the deer are without a doubt smarter than we are!!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Whitetail

Thank you all very much. It is raining here cats and dogs and I will also be looking for tracks in the mud in primary and secondary trails and said bedding areas. T season scouting is so far away from actual deer season but I'm in the woods ALOT. The 'public' land part is not widely used. Thick!? Oh boy! Thick, then open area, then thick. May take a long time to pin him down. What about water sourse. The river is just 30 yards to the side. Do deer consistantly drink from the same area? Also there is no parking lot.
What is the best time to watch for deer as in sitting on a vantage point and glassing for a few hours..
Thanks again... I feel a plan coming together and ya'll are a part of it!!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Elk

Find the bucks beds and his core area now or when the snow melts. Find his escape route from his tracks. You'll know his core bedding area from the rubs in it and see the bed impression on the ground. Do this early and pick a tree or 2 on the edge of it for a couple different wind direction. Then don't go back til next season when you want to kill him.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Whitetail

Ladyhunter I like your ideas but... Snow? I'm about 200 ft. with no snow in 100 miles. As for rubs I'm not sure I have ever seen a real rub like the whitetails leave. I will be more astute in my searching... snow?!

What is a good squeak free packable stand and climbing set up? Quick and easy, down and dirty.. I hate frills..

Thanks again for the input...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Musk Ox

yeah you are in California huh, Water might not be a bad idea....

Might be more like hunting antelope or elk...

Treat the water like a food plot...

Thats just a guess...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwakk View Post
Ladyhunter I like your ideas but... Snow? I'm about 200 ft. with no snow in 100 miles. As for rubs I'm not sure I have ever seen a real rub like the whitetails leave. I will be more astute in my searching... snow?!

What is a good squeak free packable stand and climbing set up? Quick and easy, down and dirty.. I hate frills..

Thanks again for the input...
Ameristep makes some great stands at "Regular Joe" prices. Whatever model you choose, make sure you get one with a sling seat! Your butt will thank you. Honestly, you will be able to sit much longer and with less fidgeting if you're in a sling versus a seat cushion over metal! For climbing sticks, look at Rapid Rails. Those would be best suited to getting into gnarly old oaks.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com