Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Caribou

Default How do you check.....

an animal when you walk up to it to see if its dead? just watched BND6, and saw a major no-no in it. one of the gun hunters went up and checked to see with the barrel of the gun. have seen this on many of the hunting shows on TV also. wonder if they think about what would happen if that animal wasn't dead and it jumped up? shame on these folks. bad message to be sending to the kids just starting out hunting. I was taught to always walk up from behind the animal and poke it with a stick or my toe. that way your weapon would be ready in case it was needed.

anyone else notice this happening? and how/what do you do to check?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Caribou

I always wondered about that too. Especially when it has been on approach to a large bear. I have seen them give it a quick poke and then turn to the camera to talk before they have even waited for a response. I really expected to see the bear rear up like the masked man in Halloween and give the hunter a big SWAT from behind. It really spooks me to see them approach too close too quickly.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Moose

I reload my gun. And as soon as I get within 5 feet I empty my gun out on the animal! Just kidding I usually go up and make sure its not breathing and give it a kick.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Moose

I may be totally wrong on this but, I suspect it's already been checked when they went to clean it up for the camera. Then, they go back and get the "recovery" on film and because they already know it's dead aren't as "cautious".

I see your point, though and agree.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Caribou

Monie, figure they have already checked, but thats just BAD to be showing on TV and DVD's. want to teach kids the right way of checking.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Muley

I have always wondered what the point was at all of poking it. Seriously, no live animal is going to lie there with its eyes open while sticks and leaves are poking its retina. I just look at the eyes and chest (to check for breathing). I have never poked anything.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Black Bear

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
I may be totally wrong on this but, I suspect it's already been checked when they went to clean it up for the camera. Then, they go back and get the "recovery" on film and because they already know it's dead aren't as "cautious".

Take a kid out shooting. Try 3-D, they love it.

Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus- Now On Order!!!
FMJ
Scent Lok
Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post

This also explains why I recover my deer in deep ravines, upside down in creeks, wrapped around trees, etc with the tongue hanging out.
Most of the hunting shows find their game posed with the tongue in and the bloodiest side hidden from the camera.
I personally never get that lucky.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Elk

I was taught to poke it in the eye with the barrel. While I'm not opposed to this (to each his own) I haven't done that in a while now. Not because someone told me it was taboo but because I got lazy and just give it a little kick in the back when I come up on it now. Sounds like this is the first time my laziness paid off.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

i always walk up to the deer from behind., watching for breathing ., and or twitch of the ear , and then slide to the side and look at its eyes., if eyes are closed ., beware!