Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Bighorn

Default Crossbows

So... we are looking into the possibility of hunting in Texas again for hog. This year... Becca wants to join in. I can't say that I blame her.

She wants more than anything to take a hog with a bow, but she can't draw a bow that will drop a squirrel let alone a hog. My solution is to look into a youth crossbow for her and we found one within our paltry buget

I don't know much about them, or at least I don't know as much as I have learned from you all about compounds. So... I approach the well to draw the water of knowlege again.

I know one should never buy a bow one has never shot a few times. Is the same true for crossbows?

We are looking at a 2008 Horton Scout HD 125 Crossbow with a red-dot site. It has a three-bolt quiver and three practice bolts. I assume the practice bolts are garbage, so I will be replacing them. Is this bow worth the $289.99 they are asking for it?

She's 10, so I fully expect she will need to use shooting sticks from the ground blind or 2-man tree stands out there.

I imagine that with the cheater-sticks she will become accurate faster than we did. Is this a real expectation for her?

That's all I got for now. Hit me experts!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Caribou

first, check and see if they are legal in texas. and anywhere else you may have her hunting. next, the price of that crossbow is reasonable. next, the bolts that come with it are not going to be that bad. if she shoots them well, try and get the same type for her hunting arrows(bolts). next, make sure it shoots fast enough to meet the requirements of the state you are hunting. meaning meets minumu8m requirements for poundage. the site you are talking is fine, and the shooting sticks will definately help.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Muley

rick had to use a x-bow this year due to bad shoulder and wrist,i didn't have much time to get used to it before i hunted,(only 4 days). i bought a barnett 400 avi,345 fps. they recomended using bolts of a certain wt. including the broadhead, and not anything less or could damage the bow, and to use heads that weighed 125 gr. they also recomend using mechanical broadheads.i used the montec fixed 3 blade and they shot good.i did go to excaliber carbon express bolts, mine uses 22" bolts,the ones they sent me with the bow didn't quite meet their weight recomenations. the other things you need to do is make sure you use the string and rail wax,the strings will wear out faster than other bows so you need to use it.i also noticed that if your not using a rest of some kind,(shooting free hand) the bow will kinda jump when you shoot causing high hits.only other thing is to MAKE SURE YOU WATCH WHERE YOU PUT YOUR THUMB WHEN HOLDING THE BOW!!! a woman at work years ago didn't and the string hit her thumb and broke it. not real experianced too much with it right now, like i said i didn't have much time to. but i hope some of this helps----tom
Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Bighorn

Nice guys thanks!

I guess either way I'll go ahead and purchase the bow for her. Appreciate the info as always.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Elk

This is from the TX DNR:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...al/hunt/means/
Crossbow:

Any person may use a crossbow to hunt game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds) during a general open season or Eastern spring turkey season. Telescopic sights are lawful.
ONLY a person with an upper-limb disability may use a crossbow to hunt deer and turkey during the Archery Only Open Season, provided the person, while hunting, has in their immediate possession a physician's statement certifying the extent of the disability.
An upper-limb disability is a permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand, or arm in a manner that renders the person incapable of using lawful archery equipment.
A crossbow is lawful for game animals and game birds (except migratory game birds and as provided above), provided:
the crossbow has a minimum pull of 125 pounds;
the crossbow has a mechanical safety; and
the crossbow stock is not less than 25 inches in length.

Projectiles (Arrows):

While hunting game animals and game birds, a projectile may not be poisoned, drugged, or explosive.
When used to hunt turkey and all game animals other than squirrels, a projectile must be equipped with a broadhead hunting point that is at least 7/8-inch in width (upon impact) and has a minimum of two cutting edges. A mechanical broadhead must begin to open upon impact and, when open, must be a minimum of 7/8-inch in width.
An archer may have arrows with field, target, or judo points in the quiver with the broadhead hunting points.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Bighorn

Wow!

Thanks Deb!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Moose

Sorry Rick but I cant help you. I know nothing about them. But this year they will be legal in PA archery for everyone. i might have to get one to tinker with.