Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Antelope

Default Filming for beginners

Good day, Ralph & Vicki: I just registered the other day, and I would like to ask you a few questions, with regard to filming our own hunts. Just so you have some background info on me, I am an outfitter here in Alberta for moose, bears and whitetails. Before you get too excited, I am in the process of shutting my business down, so that I can go hunting for myself; there are way too many critters out there that I don't have on my walls, and I need to fix that little problem. I like guiding, but I love hunting........ one has to go. My steady hunting buddy is my oldest daughter, and we have taken moose and many deer (WT & MD) together. I'll post some photos later. Anyway, I already have a smaller Canon video camera, that films onto a smaller DVD. The picture is decent, but I would really like to shoot some quality footage. I have looked at the Canon XH-A1 (about $3500.00 up here); I've also looked at the Canon GL2. Do you have any suggestions? Any advice would be much appreciated. Oh, and for Vicki - you are my daughter's hero.

Gord
Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Moose

Welcome to the forum! I dont know much about the Canons so I cant help you there. As for Sony's if you are looking for a great camera look at the PD-170. It is an awesome camera! If you are looking for an HD camera. The V1U and Z1U are pretty popular. Sony has a new one out that I soon hope to play with. Firediver talked to me about this one. It is the V5U. The features on the camera are a hunters and cameraman dream.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Musk Ox

Bull is right. From what I'm reading in your post....I think the PD170 would be a great camera for you.

Here is a great website where you can find a lot of valuable info.......

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/

This section goes into detail the pros and cons of the different systems available....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/professio...n-acquisition/

When you are ready to buy something.....check these guys out. This is the only place I buy my equipment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 PM
rainman

Default selling v1u sony

gord

welcome to the forum! you may be interested in this. i am sellig a sony hvrv1u
camera. i purchased it in sept. o8 this is the package

SONY-HVRV1U VIDEO CAMERA HDV 20X ZOOM
SONY-WIDE ANGLE LENS W/LENS HOOD
SONY-WIRELESS MIC SYSTEM
SONY-3 YEAR TRANSFERRABLE WARRANTY
SONY-SHOTGUN MIC. W/NEW WIND SOCK
HOYA-LENS FILTER KIT

AND OF COURSE ALL THE MANUALS,CORDS,REMOTES, CD-ROMS AND EVERYTHING THAT CAME WITH THIS UNIT. IT IS ALMOST NEW. LIKE STATED PURCHASED FROM B&H VIDEO IN SEPT.O8 $4000.00 FIRM PRICED TO SELL
THANKS!
TONY P R.M.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Antelope

Rainman: Thanks for the info. Your camera gear sounds like a great deal, but I have a few other things going right now. Bear season is coming (not soon enough), followed by a vacation/fishing trip, and then a fly-in moose/caribou trip to northern BC with two great buddies. It will be filmed, just not sure what I'll be filming with. I'm going to shoot my moose (I hope) with my bow. Love calling those big bulls. I've called a bunch for other hunters, now it's my turn.
Gord