Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > BND - Bear'N Down

Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRM View Post
I'm born and raised here in Tx. and thought you would like to know the weather down here is "fine". Today and tomorrow around 79 degrees but Friday a front is coming through and supposed to knock it down to around 45 degrees. Burrr that's cold..............not for you guys up north though. Sounds like ya'll have definitely got enough cold weather to kill all the bugs. I'm headed to Alberta this spring for my first bear hunt.
Where are you going to hog hunt? I'm in the panhandle and we have been covered up with hogs. Just can't seam to kill enough of them to even make a dent in their population.

"Oo Oo Oo Mr Carter!!" I'll help you hunt those hogs!!!!

Seriously, if'n ya'll need help keeping the population down. I'd be glad to pitch in.

BTW....Welcome, GRM!!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com

Last edited by Monie; 01-21-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Bighorn

here is a little something to get you pumped for spring bear.http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/r...rent=bear2.flv
Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Whitetail

THAT, my friend is my worst fear while bear hunting. I would absolutely have a cardiac.
Everyone always says that they are "just curious" and "more afraid of me than I am of them". To that I say...bull*%$# there is no way they can possibly be more afraid than I would be.
Your clip made me say OH right out loud. Thanks for the morning jump start.
I have always said that there is not a drug out there that can get your adrenaline pumping like a good hunt. That is why we do it.
Happy Hunting!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
here is a little something to get you pumped for spring bear.http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/r...rent=bear2.flv
Good one Timba. My biggest fear isn't the bear getting in the tree with you although it's right up there with a sow with several cubs in tow.

I have had cubs come into the bait with a sow. That's bad enough. On another day I had the cubs run back into the woods where I can't see them visually and then appear and come back again for more food. I know the sow has to be there. She's there aware of you and you don't want to alarm her or excite the cubs to bring her charge into the tree with you.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Musk Ox

Can't do it this year. Hopefully I'll head back to Canada next year.

I could afford it if the dang kids would quit eating and growing!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Bighorn

I had that bear come up my tree twice,this year I'm getting those rubber blunt points to shoot problem bears with.I had the shot gun up in the tree with me,but they climb fast.I also get more worried when there is cubs and a sow,I had one cub at my bait that was no bigger then a cat and it was there for a while with no sow that I could see.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Whitetail

4PMuzzys are you hunting feral hogs or javalinas? Tons of javalina hogs down there. I quail hunted a ranch down there a couple of years ago just west of Carrizo Springs. Close to where your going. It was the La Bandera Ranch, 10,000 acres for white tail, turkey, ducks, quail and javalina. Most of the ranches in that area of Tx. are hugh ranches that are set up more for corporate type hunts. I was amazed at the amount of hunting that goes on down there. That part of the world exist just for hunting. For those that haven't seen the country side it is as thick with brush as hair on a dogs back. If it doesn't have stickers on it it has thorns. Plenty of rattle bugs down there as well. Be aware even in February they could out sunning themselves. Good luck and bring some pictures back to show us.
In Alberta we are going to use Alberta Bear Busters guide service (plug) just west of High Level. I've never been before and am going with a guy that's been twice to this place. Listening to his stories and reading all of ya'lls accounts I think that I'm already hooked on bear hunting. My wife and family think that I'm nuts. I'm sooo stoked and ready for this I can't stand it.
YorkArcher, I feel your pain on the kids eating and growing up. I'm struggling now with paying for college.....
________
Sativa strains

Last edited by GRM; 02-26-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
OK!!! I would have needed a SERIOUS time out for Camo maintainence.

And quite possibly a scraper.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Whitetail

timba, these rubber blunt points your talking about, will they not penetrate the skin at close range? I saw a video that showed a guide with a pretty good size sling shot to keep problem bears away from a young hunter he was guiding. What about pepper spray? Is it accessible in Canada and a viable last chance defense against a bear attack? The sling shot looks like more fun and not as smelly as the pepper spray. I don't know would a sling shot piss off a sow more or make her run????
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer

Last edited by GRM; 02-26-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
"Oo Oo Oo Mr Carter!!"

That should be "Oo Oo Oo Mr. Kot-TER"