Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Musk Ox

Default Qdma

Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this group is....
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Venison is Venison, Can't eat antlers. Antlers are for people with ego's. JMHO !!

I went on one hunt, that had a 8 point or larger out side the ears rule. But one doe and all the spikes you want rule.(QDMA) I killed the legal limit, 1 doe and 3 spikes and came home with a 108 Qt cooler full of meat!!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Moose

QDMA is vital to getting our deer population to managable levels. I think it's a great organisation! I wish more people would pay attention to it.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
QDMA is vital to getting our deer population to managable levels. I think it's a great organisation! I wish more people would pay attention to it.
"QDMA is vital to getting our deer population to managable levels." You mean Trophy managment levels ? Maintaining a healthy population is numbers of animals period. Be they does or bucks. Carrying capacity is just that, ? Numbers of animals. Not the number of 10-12 pointers or button bucks.

Ideally you'd like to see a 1:1 ratio, for "Trophy" game management.
I think worrying about the carrying capacity, is more important than the number of 12 pointers on the property, of course unless you are a outfitter... then, Well, nuff said.

Last edited by Monie; 12-04-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Caribou

carrying capacity is part of Quality Deer Management, you have to control that to have a healthy herd. I wish we had bigger tracts of land around here to be able to manage the bucks, but we do control the population by taking does.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
"QDMA is vital to getting our deer population to managable levels." You mean Trophy managment levels ? Maintaining a healthy population is numbers of animals period. Be they does or bucks. Carrying capacity is just that, ? Numbers of animals. Not the number of 10-12 pointers or button bucks.

Ideally you'd like to see a 1:1 ratio, for "Trophy" game management.
I think worrying about the carrying capacity, is more important than the number of 12 pointers on the property, of course unless you are a outfitter... then, Well, nuff said.
I do not mean trophy management levels. I mean carrying capacity. I appologize for not being more specific. The herd should be managed such that there aren't so many does as to over-populate the area and cause vegetaion/habitat damage and loss.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Moose

Its a good organization. I know the president of your area Rick Watts. Real good guy.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Antelope

I'm really surprised(guess I shouldn't be) by the "I want a big one" attitude. A few people that I've spoken with from the mainland that I've hosted here want a big hog.

They will pass several nice hogs for the "Big One", I do game management/Damage controll for 2 ranches. that is reduce the numbers of hogs rooting up and damaging the property.
One ranch allowed another fellow to hunt the ranch, he only kills boars. He also has a local TV show here too. he ask me if he could hunt my stands because I have "Big Hogs" coming in. I told him, what I needed, which was to remove sows too, he declined because he only kills boars.

Guess who's not hunting my areas?

I'd much rather take a doe than a buck, and like wise a #80 hog over a #150 or larger hog.
So I guess if you kill a #80 hog they never get to be #150
Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Whitetail

I think QDM is a great tool to have better hunting. Having a 1:1 or a similar buck to doe ratio creates a more intense rut. This means less fawns will be born late, causing them to be in better condition in their first winter.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Muley

Send a message via AIM to nova scotia

everytime I hear talk about QDM I picture siting on leased land in a tree stand with a clover patch in front surrounded by a fence with private property signs posted everywhere and taking your pick on the 20 or so bucks that enter the clover patch. not the kind of deer I want to chase