Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Bighorn

Default Ameristep Blind Questions

Cheri and I have been looking around for a ground blind recently, especially after our deer hunt this last time.

We found a deal on a dog house blind we just couldn't pass up so we grabbed it. It was delivered yesterday and we set it up in the living room.

Overall I am pretty happy with it. Good room for two, but I noticed as I drew that my release arm's elbow hits the back wall. I'll deal with that, though.

The zippers for the windows are really loud and I would love to quiet them down some. When I would get a zipper stuck as a young kid, my grand dad had a tube of somthing that looked like bow-wax. It loosed up the stuck zipper, and really quieted it down, if I recall. (we're talking 30 years ago now). Does anyone know if something like that is still made, or does Ameristep make something that would quiet it down?

Also, within the zippered, larger window, there is a smaller one. Behind it, inside the blind is a bug screen that is held fast with velcro. OMG this is so loud! Anyone have a workaround for the Velcro issue? The windows are small and would make spotting a little tough with two of us in there.

I'm going to try it out this weekend with the yotes just to see and get it some field time. I'll need about 10 bottles of HS Earth scent.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 10-24-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

[Rick's Quote]

"The zippers for the windows are really loud and I would love to quiet them down some. When I would get a zipper stuck as a young kid, my grand dad had a tube of somthing that looked like bow-wax. It loosed up the stuck zipper, and really quieted it down, if I recall. (we're talking 30 years ago now). Does anyone know if something like that is still made, or does Ameristep make something that would quiet it down? "

The loud sound comes from the zippers being pulled taught by the poles holding the sides out. I have the Penthouse blind and have the same issue. I found out if I push the side where the door is and relieve the tension, it zips a little quieter, not much though. I did find the Penthouse is larger than the doghouse, so hitting my arm isn't a issue, We've had two of us do a double shot out of the blind with no issue of drawing two bows at the same time.

I get where I think the hogs will be there, and set up. BUT(there's always a But) I've had hogs walk in while I'm setting up too, zipper sound and all. I know deer and other game are different, But it happens.

Home away from home....sorta..

I really wouldn't worry about it, I've had hogs beat me to the blind, they ran off only to come back in when I set the feeder off....go figger !!!

Have a good bowhunt

Last edited by Greywolf; 10-24-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Bighorn

Thanks wolf!

Man look at your area! Huntin in paradise! What a life!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Antelope

Here's a pic from inside looking out side.

and what happens if everything goes as planned

and the results....

Maybe we should think about trading a hunt sometime...just don't say anything to.... Mony

Last edited by Greywolf; 10-24-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Bighorn

Sounds good to me. I'll need about 10 years to save up though.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Musk Ox

Great post bud...

Next time I'm out your way I'll have to look you up....
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Musk Ox

The doghouse I had no room in it for me to move around and set up on different shots. I especially had problems in drawing back my bow in it. I'm not a big guy either so I sold it on eBay. I bought a Double Bull style blind with larger shoot thru windows and plenty of room for two in it. Sets up faster than the doghouse and goes in the bag faster too. I hunted in S.E. Colorado for several days out one like this for antelope and it was comfrontable. If I used the doghouse like that you would have been dragging me to physical therapy after one long day in it.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Whitetail

Unhappy

I have 2 Doghouse blinds, and share the same issues. They are fine for gun hunting, but will not be used next year for bowhunting. I had one of the poles break, but Ameristep sent me replacements really quickly. I wear a black balaclava and black long-sleeved shirt if I expect whitetails.

Last edited by GSPKurt; 10-30-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPKurt View Post
I have 2 Doghouse blinds, and share the same issues. They are fine for gun hunting, but will not be used next year for bowhunting. I had one of the poles break, but Ameristep sent me replacements really quickly. I wear a black balaclava and black long-sleeved shirt if I expect whitetails.
IMHO The Penthouse blind is the only one to use, we had two of us in there trying for a double shot on video. We had room for two bowhunters sitting on folding chairs to draw. We had 3 uncooperative hogs that didn't read the script (hate nonreading hogs !!) so I told my patrner to go ahead and shoot his hog as light was fading.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Caribou

Before Primos bought Double Bull Archery, I bought the Matrix Recurve blind the higest blind on the market. Maybe they will specila make it for you. I've had deer darn near step on the blind they get so close. Best room in a blind for a bow shot out there I'd say.

I have Ameristep "The Choice" 2 man ladder stand so I am not bashing Ameristep.

I just think there are enough nuances out there that competition is good. Otherwise life may look more like the old Apple commercial in the early 80's that made fun of the soviet bathing beauty fashion show

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU