Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > The Choice

Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Whitetail

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike
Cool Semi Automatics for Hunting

In my years of whitetail hunting I have seen a lot of crazy things in the feild!
I don't think semi automatics for big game hunting is the right choice. When Jo Bob redneck goes to the feild with an SKS or any type there of. It to me makes a bad name for other hunters. I spent six years in the army as a ground troop so for those that might disagree; tread carefully in what you may say. I'm not saying you cann't have them; but you truly could be come a better marksman with a bolt action.
Last season I was on public land when a group of guys with a ton of fire power unleashed a broll of fire on a buck.I think they cut down more trees in the end. Later that day back at the parking area they had the buck. There was 14 holes in that deer....GIVE ME A BRACK! This is not the first time I have seen over gunning. All my deer have been taken with one shot one kill.
So agree or disagree with over gunning in the feild? I look at it like this my son and wife go to the feild last thing I want is for them to have to be duckn for cover; cause Jo Bob didn't taken the time to be a better marksman.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
In my years of whitetail hunting I have seen a lot of crazy things in the feild!
I don't think semi automatics for big game hunting is the right choice. When Jo Bob redneck goes to the feild with an SKS or any type there of. It to me makes a bad name for other hunters. I spent six years in the army as a ground troop so for those that might disagree; tread carefully in what you may say. I'm not saying you cann't have them; but you truly could be come a better marksman with a bolt action.
Last season I was on public land when a group of guys with a ton of fire power unleashed a broll of fire on a buck.I think they cut down more trees in the end. Later that day back at the parking area they had the buck. There was 14 holes in that deer....GIVE ME A BRACK! This is not the first time I have seen over gunning. All my deer have been taken with one shot one kill.
So agree or disagree with over gunning in the feild? I look at it like this my son and wife go to the feild last thing I want is for them to have to be duckn for cover; cause Jo Bob didn't taken the time to be a better marksman.
Let me ask you this one. I have a semi auto Benelli shotgun set up with a plug so it holds three rounds only and it's got a slug barrel on it. Does this come into your problem as well as a semi auto loading rifle?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Whitetail

Cool

For one slugs don't shoot as far. In alot of states slugs are all you have. My home state of Michigan is mostly slug and upper parts are rifle. So no; I use both pump and semi when waterfowl; but I'm not dumping the chamber empty when I shoot. I see hunters do the same waterfowling as deer hunting. Sky bunching the clouds just to shoot at something; as for deer why do you need more than two shots..one and then maybe a follow up..not a five round load or more. People get so trigger happy they need to learn trigger control.Any more unless its bow or muzzle loader I don't hunt on public land. To many trigger happy Jo Bobs. I hunt rifle with one of two guns;a TC Encore 308 or a Savage Tatical bolt action 308 sniper rifle. Both rifles have taken down big game out past 300m in one shot.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Musk Ox

Mike,
This is one of those deals where ain't nobody gonna come out on top.

As for the butt munches with the firepower, get license numbers and call your DNR. Any person not making sure of their targets and taking wild shots is breaking the law. I think they call it reckless use of a firearm.

As for banning semis in the woods, you're falling into the trap of the anti gun folks. They'd like nothing better than to have us against one another about what we choose to carry. If it's legal in your state or area, by all means use it if ya want to. There was quite a controversy a year or so ago when a well known, respected writer and TV host made a comment about "blackguns". The consequences of his comments just about cost him all he'd stove for over the years.

Thanks for serving to protect our rights. Thing is, you were preserving the rights of those you are now questioning, also.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Antelope

Mike
I totally disagree.

I was back east hunting and there was another group of guys that were doing a deer drive. The fire fight they were putting on would impress any vet. Their weapon of choice......pump and auto shotguns!!!!!! It's not just the idiots with rifles that like to make a lot of noise.

I believe PA doesn't allow any auto's (semi autos for all the PC types) for hunting. Those poor people don't have a choice to use them even if they wanted to. You take away certain privledges and things from people there goes FREEDOM. With out freedom to choose we could all be driving Ford Fiesta's or Chevy Chevettes!!!! The same logic goes with banning all other high powered vehicles as it does for banning autos by saying "this is all you need to get the job done"

Banning auto's gets into an unbelievable amount of guns that are used for all types of hunting. How is banning a Ruger 10/22 or a Rem 1100 20 ga going to make hunting and/or hunters "look" better?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Musk Ox

Mike it's not that I don't agree with you on most of it especially the so called hunters that can't aim or hit what they are hunting anyway. That's one reason I hate to hunt during gun season in Ohio because of the guys that hunt then usually only come out to shoot then and don't practice. It's a safety thing and that's what you're talking about. Hunter safety courses here in Ohio are great thing for the young hunters but too many older hunters avoided it by law. I made myself take one just to see what I was not understanding about it. I think the game warden here should fine hunters like that mentioned above to make it mandatory for them to take and pass a hunters safety course before going back in the woods and scaring everything with in 2 miles.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Whitetail

Cool

I'm not saying put a ban on anything! I earned my right by serving my country and I should have the right to carry and pack. I personally carry a Kimber compact for selfdefense. As for blackguns I like what they do and think there great for match shooting and varmits.
I don't feel that for big game you need to carry that much firepower to the feild. You got all these people waiting for someone to screwup and take are GOD give rights away. So why give them a chance! The enjoyment of hunting is time spent with the sights and sounds of nature. I hunt for two reason to show my kids the peace in life away from pressures of school and for them to care about their land. Second reason is for the enjoyment it brings watching nature; sure like it when I can put an animal on the grill wrapped up in bacon. My all time favorite will always be bow hunting when an animal is in less than 20yds. Hunters that take the time and do their homework don't need a ton of firepower. Look at some of the pros; like Ted N., Michael W., and the others most use bows and single shot rifles. Jim Shokey does it all with a muzzleloader.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Musk Ox

I say make your own personal decisions and quit worrying about what other people do.

If you think its a safety issue bring it up to your Rep and get the law changed.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Antelope

Is it the magazine capacity that bothers you or the that they can shoot quickly?Heck my 45/70 holds 10 rounds does that mean that I'm over gunned in the woods?I agree a person should make every shot count,but it is an individuals choice of what weapon,they choose to use in the woods.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Antelope

what was that I just saw on the choice re run, O yah stop arguing amongst ourselves!!!!

thats all I have to say, im done.

later