Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Whitetail

Send a message via MSN to deanhedge
Default Arrow Advice

I am looking to speed my bow up and retain some "knock down". I shoot an 06 Hoyt Trykon XL 70# draw @ 29.5". I have Easton Axis ST 340's with 100 grain tips. What are your ideas on this setup? Please offer up any advice you may have that u have found to work with a similar setup. Also, if a 340 penetrates a target the same distance as a 400 does that mean it would likely do the same on the animal?
Quicktune 4000, Tru Glo w/light
Easton Axis St 340
Wack'em broadheads
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Moose

You're wanting more speed with your current setup, so I am assuming that you want to reach an animal out to 60 and maybe 70 yards.

There are little tweeks that you can do to increase speed. One that is most common is to swap out your current bow string for one with fewer strands. You can have one custom made. You could also go with the 400 ST's, instead of the 340's. You'll pick up a little speed, but you do lose some umph. Another trick is to swap your regular knocks for Tune-A-Knocks. You're losing a few grains there. If you're shooting 4 inch vanes, go for the shorter vanes, like the Quick Spin Speed Hunters. You lose grains AND pick up stabilization. Definitley add a drop away, if you don't already have one. Having your fletch contact the riser or rest will slow down your arrow, not to mention throw it out of whack.

Before you go and do all of this, make sure that your bow is tuned; cams timed and tiller is perfect. This will really help out any adjustments that you make to your shooting gear.

I just had another thought...make sure that your release is operating smoothly. Nothing can throw you off more than a sticky release, because you tend to punch rather than pull through the shot.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 10-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Bighorn

I think short of dropping to an even lighter BH, you are about as fast as you are gonna get with that arrow.

Keep in mind that the 340 vs 400 is a measurement of the arrows spine, or stiffness. Now to a certain extent the GPI between the two would differ to be sure, but you are shooting a 70# bow with a 29.5" arrow. I would think that you would want the stiffer spine to stop any major in-flight issues the weaker spined arrow might present.

That Axis is a GREAT arrow. I sure wouldn't go changing the arrows around.

Let's play with the math a bit here:

You have 9.5 GPI, at 29.5", for an arrow weight of 280.25 grains.

Add in the 100 grain head = 380.25

I can't find stats for your particular model bow, but lets just say you are chrono'd at 290 fps. It may be more, it may be less, but let's just say 290.

So... To figure your KE or Kinetic Energy, use this Calc:

ke=M * V / 450,240 or

380.25 x 290 x 290 / 450240 = 71.03 KE

Why is this important???

It takes roughly 83 KE to kill a Cape Buffalo. Assuming that my 290 fps estimate is close, you already have more than enough KE for a deer, a hog, or just about anything out there. I would be willing to bet that your set up will only lose more than it gains if you mess with it. You should also know that I believe speed is important, but at some point you start to sacrifice weight, and bad things happen when the arrow is too light.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 10-18-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
I just had another thought...make sure that your release is operating smoothly. Nothing can throw you off more than a sticky release, because you tend to punch rather than pull through the shot.
Only other thing I can add to the release suggestion is this:

Make sure it is set up correctly! The trigger should be within the first knuckle- wrinkle on your index finger and you should not have to stretch that finger out to hit it.

An incorrect trigger position can wreak all kinds of havoc on your shot, and potentially cause the "punch" Monie was referring to.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 10-18-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Whitetail

Send a message via MSN to deanhedge

Thanks guys your advice really did help! Hey Rick, you were close on your speed through the chrono...It shot about 280. I had a feeling that my setup was about as good as it can be. When I bought the bow I was told that it was "set up right" by a good tech at a pro shop. Im fairly new to bow hunting so I thought I would check into it a little. You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice!
Quicktune 4000, Tru Glo w/light
Easton Axis St 340
Wack'em broadheads
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Moose

No prblem, Dean...and welcome aboard!!

If you need help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhedge View Post
Thanks guys your advice really did help! Hey Rick, you were close on your speed through the chrono...It shot about 280. I had a feeling that my setup was about as good as it can be. When I bought the bow I was told that it was "set up right" by a good tech at a pro shop. Im fairly new to bow hunting so I thought I would check into it a little. You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice!
Well I had a lot of help out here... just payin it forward!

Good luck to you and welcome to our happy little family!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Musk Ox

If I missed this in your advice above --so sorry. You missed the fact a 400 spine arrow is less grains but also less spine and for this set up a 400 spine arrow is really too light a spine. The 340 spine is more appropriate. I would actually say a 125 grain head is what I'd recommend also to improve accuracy down range.

And the newest trend is going back to a heavier arrow not a lighter one. With the faster bows you're actually able to increase KE better with a heavier arrow and not give up that much in speed or arch. Plus it helps quiet down the shot and bow noise. Just my .02
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Bighorn

We're on the same page.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

I switched to a Dropzone rest and to a Gold Tip 7595 30 3/8s long arrow with a 125 snuffer. Thats the best combination for my bow. BTW, I have the same bow as you. I have the King Cobra one slider sight. thats all I need, it'll drop anything in North America with a whollop and a huge hole for a great bloodtrail. I'm pulling 60 something pounds, I just kept adjusting the poundage till it felt right for me to pull the bow, all day at a 3-d shoot.

It's a tackdriver out to 70 yds, not that I'd shoot anything that far, but it gives great confidence in my bow that I can if I wanted too. most of my shots are way less than 20 yds.