Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Moose

Day 12 evening

Well Holly and I left from MD early so we could come back to PA. The 10 point has been on my mind nonstop. The numerous hours we spent scouting this summer makes me feel we have a shot. I know we are going to get a chance. So we came home to go after him. It wasnt long we had deer in the field. They fed there way to us. I had the big doe broadside and I was ready. i drew back and placed the pin on the spot. I shot my arrow went high. I still thought the deer was going down quickly. Well after an hour the deer was still standing in the field. We watched until we couldnt see her anymore and got out of the stands. We met up with Jeremy and went to look at the sign of the shot. Holly and I looked at the video over and over. It was high but I still felt confident. Well after some searching Jeremy came up with some blood. Very little to follow but he found part of my arrow. It was all meaty and fat on it. Right now I feel like crap! Its the first big game animal I ever lost with my bow. I really dont know how to handle it. This is by far the lowest point in my bowhunting life. I feel really good of the deers chances of surviving. I am going to do some looking in their known bedding areas tommorrow to double check. Jeremy also smells a dead one over on another farm we hunt. I want to search a little to find out what it is. This really sucks but I will go at it again tommorrow.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Bighorn

Hang in there buddy. I COMPLETELY understand how you feel.

I got one shot in Texas and I hit high too. I still feel like crap about it, but you are doing everything you can. Sometimes it just works out that way.

You keep at it, and it'll all work out. You'll see.

Oh and if this helps... when Grampa and I were in the goose blinds, I FOREVER was shooting behind the geese. Now... when I hit them, (I did hit them), I shot them right in the butt. We saw white feathers fall all over, but they never went down. Lord knows how many geese needed a proctologist after I was out there. Finally Grampa took the shotgun and had me sit out the rest of the day. Talk about feeling like crap! I'm surrounded some of the best goose hunters I've ever seen, one of which is my grand-dad, and I have to sit outside the blind like an idiot because I keep shooting geese, not dropping them.

I feel ya man... I really do!

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 10-18-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Moose

Day 13 morning

Well we saw 5 doe and they did the same thing they did the buck did last Saturday at this stand. They were close enough but no shot. Well today we moved the treestands so this Saturday morning we should have some meat laying.

Day 13 evening

Holly and I took the muzzleoader out for our early season opener. We were sneaking around the different fields and spotting but no luck. We got home a little early and 80 yards from our house there was a doe and a little one. I thought I would be able to shoot one off my deck. Well it was the 3 legged doe she is protecyed here. She is OLD!!!!!! I guess shooting one off the deck wouldnt make good footage anyway.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Bighorn

You're getting warmer!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Moose

Day 14 evening

We hunted right behind our house. Sunday night we were watching 5 doe from our kitchen. So today we decided to take our Ameristep choice blind and tuck it in some cover. It wasnt to long we had a button buck investigate and feed by the blind. He was no more then 30 yards from us. We didnt have any of the others come out until late. Not sure what our plan is for tommorrow. But they keep tormenting us.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Moose

Evening 15

It was blowing like a tornado today. We decided to take the T/C and do some sneaking. We had a doe come running out of no where into us. I think she was spooked. She was 98 yards but standing facing us. You think she would turn broadside for a few seconds. We are having a good but unlucky season so far. Oh well.... And we did see the 3 legger and her fawn across from our house again. Hopefully tommorrow we have the right weather to hunt a different stand. Im dieing to get a shot at a buck.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Bighorn

Bull you have seen a lot of deer. Keep at it. Big boy will make an appearance.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Bull you have seen a lot of deer. Keep at it. Big boy will make an appearance.
Come on Rick I live in PA. We have no big deer here in PA. We are seeing some deer. I usually see about 110-125 deer in our 6 week season. I think I am at 38 right now. Which is ironic 38 is my luck number.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose38 View Post
Come on Rick I live in PA. We have no big deer here in PA. We are seeing some deer. I usually see about 110-125 deer in our 6 week season. I think I am at 38 right now. Which is ironic 38 is my luck number.
Well... big is a relative statement. (Oh man am I gonna pay for this choice of words!)

I have the faith buddy. I BELIEVE!!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Caribou

Oct 22 Evening

I didn't see anything while in the stand. I got down a little early and on my way back to the truck I bumped into a nice doe...so I let the TC bark..down she went! Adam has the pics on his digi, hopefully he can post them so we get more points for the guys!
NAP Spitfires