Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Whitetail

Default Benelli Nova

Over the weekend I had a chance to pattern my Benelli Nova 12ga 28" barrel with an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike .665 and Hevi-13 3" 2 oz #6.
I only patterned at 40 and 50 yards. At 50 the center of the pattern was about 10"-11" above the 4" paint dot I put on cardboard as an aiming point to put my red bead on. At 40 yards the center of the pattern was about 8" above the paint dot.
Has anyone else had an experience like this.
I was looking at the vent rib on the barrel and it tapers slightly from receiver to muzzle. This would in theory cause the pattern to be higher than point of aim at further distances.
I emailed Indian Creek to get their opinion and they said the Benelli Nova is "notorious for shooting off" and to try Winchester Xtended Range.
Slightly frustrating since they recommended this choke and Hevi-13 for my Nova.
Wondering if I would be better off trying a Jellyhead or Carlson choke and Hevi-13 instead of trying the Indian Creek and Winchester Xtended Range.
Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Moose

That stinks! I would try an H.S. undertaker choke. They seemed to work out out of everything I tried them in. I shoot regular Winchester Supremes out of the chokes in 4 and 5 shot. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Musk Ox

Copper,

Shotguns are like rifles in the sense that one will shoot one brand of shell/choke combo fine, but another will do something entirely different. The choke or barrel could have been cut wrong also. Try another brand of shell or 2. You may have to try another brand of choke. In my Nova, 3'' shells shoot tighter than the 3.5s. Don't matter if it's lead or HeviShot...Go Figure?

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Musk Ox

Oh...WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Musk Ox

Winchester ammo will get the job done. I have the Nova and took a great tom using it with the Winchester X. I used the Benelli chokes too. I have no complaints.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Whitetail

Default Benelli Nova

Just an update, I emailed customer service at Benelli to see if it was normal to be shooting high at 40+ yards because of the rib taper. They emailed back with with a return number and address to send it in for repairs. Since they did not say yes this is supposed to shoot high, I am hoping this is a common problem that they will fix.

Will keep you posted.

Brian
Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Musk Ox

Copper, A word of caution...If ya send it in now, you might not get it back for a while. Last time I sent something to Benelli, it took them a long time to get it back to me. Also, when ya do decide to send it back, ask them to send out a call tag. That way you don't have to go thru the hassle of finding someone send it in for ya.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Whitetail

I am going to hold off on sending the gun back to Benelli until I have a chance to pattern it again.
I picked up a box of Winchester Xtended 3" #6 over the weekend.
I will give it a try with the Indian Creek but do not have high hopes.
Benelli said to shoot Hevi-13 or the Winchester Xtended through the mod choke to see what the patters does. They said the full factory choke has too much constriction for the Hevi-13 or Winchester Xtended.

Bow Drawn, which factory choke patterns best out of your Nova?