Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Moose

Default Is hunting getting to expensive?

This should be neat to hear different views. I think some of the hunts are ridiculous what they cost. While others I think are cheap for the amount of work the guide puts in. Overall I think its like any other hobby you got to pay to play. Think about it everything costs money to do. Just my 2 cents. Whats yours?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose38 View Post
This should be neat to hear different views. I think some of the hunts are ridiculous what they cost. While others I think are cheap for the amount of work the guide puts in. Overall I think its like any other hobby you got to pay to play. Think about it everything costs money to do. Just my 2 cents. Whats yours?
It is, but shouldn't be.

99% of my hunting is done in my own state. License cost $40.00 per year plus a duck stamp $15.00, plus gameland stamp $15.00. For $70.00 I get:
Fishing
2 bucks; unlimited does for archery, black powder, rifle.
2 boars
2 turkeys
1 bear
Ducks
Geese
Coyotes
Foxes
Bobcats
Whistle Pigs
Rabbits
Quail
Dove
Squirrels
Phesants (we don't have hardly any)
etc.

Enough to keep me busy from June-May each year.

Now I've looked at booking my dream hunts and honestly just can't afford any of them.
So I rely on trading or swapping hunts.
In 2009 I'm trading a turkey hunt here for a bear hunt in Maine.
Still expensive (travel, lodging, license, tags) but i don't pay that outrageous outfitter charge.

Even the outfitters who have good prices, you have to add travel, lodging, license, and tags. Or at least add license and tags. Geesh.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Caribou

I don't think prices are high enough for tags, licenses and such here in PA...maybe that would keep some of the riff-raff out of the woods. It's expensive to go on outfitted hunts, but since it's what I love to do...I save my money and go when I can. Sometimes you can find a place that is cheaper but you usually get what you pay for. Just my .02
NAP Spitfires
Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Bighorn

ya with gas being 1.05 a little here and a box of 30-06 shells is now 35$.It doesn't take long to spend over a grand.But we do lots of driving looking for the big deer.

timba
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Black Bear

Well when it comes to equipment you get what you pay for. In terms of a trip I agree that some prices are out of control. I understand the cost of baiting and what not goes up but when does it stop?

Last edited by bowhunter9797; 01-18-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Elk

I've been looking at some prices for what I'd like to do, and it looks like most of my dream hunts will have to wait for (to quote my wife) "my rich uncle to get out of the poorhouse."

Equipment prices are getting outrageous IMHO, too, but like bowhunter9797 said, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Caribou

Things have really changed over the past few years. When I was farming we used to let people hunt if the family wasn't hunting at the time, now pay hunting has taken over and your lucky to find a spot to hunt. It has driven up land prices alot, as many out of state hunters are buying the land because for them its just as easy to own it for a write off than to pay to hunt. This is mostly for pheasant hunting, but deer hunting is starting to get that way too. I just hope if I'm lucky enough to have kids they will have a place to hunt.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Caribou

even though I hate this, you have to look at it from all sides. what has come down lately in general? with having my own construction company, I see price increases all the time. don't forget, you also pay for "experts" experience in what they do. if you figure it out by the hour, I make well over $75 an hour. sorry, I ain't worth it. but what is my time and effort worth. yep, like has been said, some of these hunts are very pricey, and you do get what you pay for. as far as travel, licenses, and such, thats just part of the game. you want to pay, you have to pay. have noticed a few more folks going to a do-it-yourself hunt more and more nowadays. had a buddy go up to canada for a bear hunt. think the cost was $1000 for a week. he had an outfitter that started the bait, but you had to keep it going. also had food costs, travel, etc. maybe an idea for some who have a group that likes to hunt together.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Moose

I agree, some hunts are rediculously priced, just because they know they can squeeze you and there's nothing you can do if you really want that hunt. For instance, Stone Sheep. You want that hunt, you pay through the nose! I'm talking $30,000 or better. Why? Because, as an alien non-resident they can stick it to you.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Caribou

guess i won't be stone sheep hunting this year.